none
FIM 2010 R2 Reporting Environmental Requirements - Synchronization Service and FIM Service on same machine? Why? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

It is said in the Environmental Requirements section for FIM 2010 R2 Reporting that "The FIM Synchronization service has been installed on the machine running the FIM Service."

Anybody knows why it is required to install the FIM Synchronization Service and FIM Service on the SAME machine for FIM Reporting?

Does it mean that I cannot have a stand-alone FIM Sync server and load-balanced FIM Service Servers since you can only have a single FIM Sync Server?

I'm a bit confused, could anybody help please?

Rgds

Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hmm that is strange that is not what i remember, if you see this page it mentioned you can install every component on a separate server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134293(v=ws.10)

Need realtime FIM synchronization and advanced reporting? check out the new http://www.imsequencer.com that supports FIM 2010, Omada Identity Manager, SQL, File, AD or Powershell real time synchronization!

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Yes it seems we have to think twice before a FIM 2010 R2 based design/deployment and not take every experience we know from FIM 2010 as granted.

Or perhaps it might basically be a typo in the documentation? May be it refers "FIM reporting service" rather than "FIM sync service" (someone from Microsoft should confirm this though).

Friday, August 10, 2012 1:58 PM
  • I found that weird requirement today, too. I bet it is a bug in Deployment Guide, but if I've got some time, I'll test it.

Keep trying

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:45 PM
  • It is a bug in the guide that will be updated. 

You do not need FIM Sync and FIM Service/Portal on the same box.  Apologies.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:08 PM
  • +1 to Chip's note...our apologies regarding this.  There are no requirements regarding FIM Synchronization engine co-location alongside the FIM Service in order for the FIM Reporting feature to work.
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:22 PM