Dual Boot Vista Utimate x64 SP1 & Vista Business x86 SP1 VERY slow to boot RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Vista Ultimate x64 successfully for some time, however I have found myself having to go back to the 32-bit version so I can use a certain VPN tool (let's not go there).

What I have done is create another partition on the main disk, and install Vista Business x86 with SP1. All installed fine and get the option of which OS to boot to at startup, BUT now both instances take 10+ minutes to get to the login prompt from the display of the Microsoft logo/progress bar.

I have checked out event viewer (performance diagnostics) and the 32-bit OS shows some shutdown time delays, but only one msg in the x64 OS that suggests Video Memory degradation affecting window performance.

Once the system is up and running, everything is running perfectly well.

I am running a 500GB SATA-II (WD) partitioned with the x64 on 100GB partition #1, and x86 on 100GB on partition #2 with the remainder unpartitioned. Before changing the partitions around I had x64 on 65G partition#1 and partition #2 having the rest with just data on it.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:31 PM

Answers