XP SP3 problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,   I am running a Compaq Persario Desktop with XP Home and when the updater downloaded XP SP3 it stop working. A screen comes up saying ( We appologize for the inconvenience , but Windows did not start successfully etc.   The only thing it will let me into is Safe Mode with command prompt.  Any ideals ?  Thanks
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you know if the processor chip is Intel or AMD??

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:51 AM
  •  

Hi,

There is a known issue regarding HP OEM Windows XP with AMD CPU after installing SP3.

If this is the case, please check the webpage below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-60484-2

(Note: Since the site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

If the computer does not have an AMD CPU, please try system restore in Safe Mode first.

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 30, 2012 6:14 AM
  • It says AMD on the sticker.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Hello, I went to that link and it said it was to be used before you install xp sp 3. To late for that. I would have never thought that I would need to do research before windows did an automated update. It was all over with and done before I knew it.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

In this situation, we can boot up in Safe Mode and uninstall SP3.

If it cannot be uninstalled, we can try system restore in Safe Mode.

After that, we can install the hotfix from HP and try manually installing SP3 again.

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:04 AM