none
Separate Timesheets for Different Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My organization is using Project Online for one main project. On this project, they have setup a Resource Manager as the Timesheet Manager for all users on that project. Now there is a second project that is completely separate from the first one. The issue we have is that with this setup, the Timesheet for users who are on both projects shows both projects, and when the timesheet is submitted, it is submitted for both projects to the Timesheet Manager on the 1st project.

Apologies if that was too confusing. I'd like to set this up so that the timesheets for each project are completely separate? Is this possible?

If this is not possible, can you point me in the right direction for a solution that may come close to accomplishing this? The concern is that since the two projects are completely separate, the Project 1 Timesheet Manager may be approving the timesheet for Project 2 before it's been reviewed, or vice versa. If this makes a difference, we'd rather have no approvals at all for Project 2, but we don't want to mess anything up with the approval configuration for Project 1.

Please let me know if any other info is required to help determine a solution for this issue.

Thanks,

Jacob

Saturday, February 9, 2019 12:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

sorry for delay. Customers kept my busy.

For your question with SEM:

You describe it correctly. I suggest to enable SEM and set everyone to be the own timesheet manager. Instead of approving Timesheets, your "Timesheet Manager" for Project 1 will need to approve Status Updates in Approval Center to have control across Project 1.

Your manager of Project 2, who does not want to check individual progress can set up a Rule from Approval Center to approve and publish all Status Updates immediately.

For your second question:

Of course yo can set up a second instance (by the way, the limit of 7 instances is removed). But this will require to different URL for your team members to enter time. And the administrator will have to maintain two instances. Moreover, you cannot check resource availability across two instances.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by SkipMoneyXL Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

in this situation, I would enable Single Entry Mode

When using this, you can set the Timesheet Manager to the real manager or to the user him- or herself. When setting to the user, timesheets will be approved automatically.

To have approval still from the two people responsible for your projects (I will call them PM), SEM has to be enabled. With this setting, all Status Updates in a timesheet will be sent automatically to Status Manager for the Task(!) for approval, when timesheet is submitted. PMs are able to approve/reject these status updates and progress will be available in project plan. To check the Status Manager for each task edit project in Project client and add column "Status Manager". PMs can change value in this column to their own names.

Does this help?

Barbara

Saturday, February 9, 2019 12:36 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your reply.

My apologies for the detail I need on this, but please let me make sure I understand what you're saying correctly.

I understand where I'd change the setting for SEM, and I understand how I can see the Status Manager column.

With our setup, we want Project 1 to have Timesheets approved, in Project 2 we do not. In order to do this, we'd need to either change the Timesheet Manager for each user to the Project Manager 1 for Project 1 (with the unwanted side effect that Project Manager 1 would receive the full timesheet for both projects), OR we'd set the Timesheet Manager for each user to themselves so that Timesheets would automatically be approved by the user (with the unwanted side effect that Project Manager 1 would not get a "full" Timesheet for approval, but only the individual task approvals instead).

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks,

Jacob

Monday, February 11, 2019 10:52 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

In looking around for other options, I believe the true way to be able to completely separate these timesheets is to setup a new Project Online site. Are there any negatives that you can think of to doing it this way? This will only be our 2nd site, so we aren't worried about reaching the limit of 7 right now.

Thanks,

Jacob

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

sorry for delay. Customers kept my busy.

For your question with SEM:

You describe it correctly. I suggest to enable SEM and set everyone to be the own timesheet manager. Instead of approving Timesheets, your "Timesheet Manager" for Project 1 will need to approve Status Updates in Approval Center to have control across Project 1.

Your manager of Project 2, who does not want to check individual progress can set up a Rule from Approval Center to approve and publish all Status Updates immediately.

For your second question:

Of course yo can set up a second instance (by the way, the limit of 7 instances is removed). But this will require to different URL for your team members to enter time. And the administrator will have to maintain two instances. Moreover, you cannot check resource availability across two instances.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by SkipMoneyXL Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you again for the reply.

I didn't realize that the limit of 7 instances was removed, so that is good to know.

We're ok with having two different URLs for our team members to enter time, so we will proceed with this route. I'll use your advice on the SEM for this new instance so that everyone is their own Timesheet Manager in case we have multiple projects in this instance as well.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Jacob

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:29 PM