BranchCache for files smaller than 64KB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been tracking an issue for a client involving slowness in their application.  They have their server, Windows Server 2012 Essentials, hosted in a private cloud.  Their workstations are Windows 7 Enterprise.  Distributed BranchCache has been configured and is working correctly.  Their application is an older application, but it runs without issue on the server.  The "client" install is a shortcut to the executable on the application share.  I've ran packet captures and determined that the actual network component of the application is fast and is not causing the slowness.  The slowness is the SMB portion of the workstation opening the executable and various required files.  After looking more closely, all of the files required for the program are smaller than 64KB, so they are not being cached.

Is there anyway to lower the minimum file size required for BranchCache?  Bandwidth is clearly not a problem, the site has about 30mbps throughput to the server at any given time.  The latency is seemingly the issue and is usually between 35-45ms but can go up to about 80-100ms if they are heavily using the internet.

I've disabled SMB signing on the 2012 server, and that helped quite a bit with file transfer speeds, but unfortunately has not given any noticeable difference in the application.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is by design that BranchCache will not download file smaller than 64MB and I did not find any settings about changing it. See:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1296.branchcache-troubleshooting.aspx

Maybe you could workaround this with using DFSR to replicate these files to a local file server instead of using BranchCache.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi there -

As far as I know the minimum file size for BranchCache is not configurable.

Thanks -

James McIllece

Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

It is by design that BranchCache will not download file smaller than 64MB and I did not find any settings about changing it. See:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1296.branchcache-troubleshooting.aspx

Maybe you could workaround this with using DFSR to replicate these files to a local file server instead of using BranchCache.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:39 PM
  • How are thing going? Please let us know if there is any progress.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:22 AM