none
display the critical paths of a specific subtasks (branches) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Gantt
    with several subtasks (branches), each subtask (branch) represents a project. Because my human resources are working in a matrix method it is important for me to have all the projects in one Gantt.

I'm interested in displaying the critical path of each or specific project, meaning presenting the critical path of a specific subtask with all its subtasks in side (displaying the critical path of one of the branches).

Today I know of two options of displaying the critical path, but both of them are note
    good for my needs.

1. Display the main critical path of the gantt, it will display the critical path of all the gantt meaning across all of my projects.
    2. Display all critical paths in the gantt, it will display the critical paths of all the subtasks (branches)

I also tried to separate the deferent projects and have one main gantt that links all the projects together but then I couldn't linking tasks from one project to the other.

It would have been nice if I could just mark a subtask (branches) and display its critical path.

Is there any option that can do that or is there any other solution I can use?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:26 PM

Answers

• I assume that by the 2nd option you mean the "calculate multiple critical paths" option in tools / options / advanced?

Assuming you have this you will now be showing the critical path for every item which does not have a successor.  If you now link everything in a project / branch / sub task to the end point(s) / deliverable(s) for that project you will have the critical path across that project.

If you want to selectivly calculate this you can't however what you can do is filter the entire plan for those tasks which you want to see the critical path for.  To do this have a flag for "show me" and filter for all items which are not marked as "no" (doing it this way rather than filtering for "yes" prevents the human error of not flagging sometihng important resulting in something important becoming hidden).

If you want you can now set up a view (table / filter and group if you like) specifically to show a filtered view of all the key critical paths across all your projects.

If you have linked between your projects you will of course get a critical path for the linked projects.  If you want to see the critical aspects of a project which is off the combined critical path you will need to follow Rod's suggestion of setting a deadline on the end delievrable of that project/branch/subtask to force the total slack for that stream of activity to 0 and thus flagging a critical path.

Hope this helps

Miles

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:12 PM

All replies

• Which version of Project?

There is an option that calculates different critical paths: basically a critical path for every branch of tasks that ends with a task with no successors.

Alternatively add a deadline date at the end of each branch that is the same as the date of the last task to finish and you will see a critical path for teh branch as well as the whole project.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:41 PM
  • I assume that by the 2nd option you mean the "calculate multiple critical paths" option in tools / options / advanced?

Assuming you have this you will now be showing the critical path for every item which does not have a successor.  If you now link everything in a project / branch / sub task to the end point(s) / deliverable(s) for that project you will have the critical path across that project.

If you want to selectivly calculate this you can't however what you can do is filter the entire plan for those tasks which you want to see the critical path for.  To do this have a flag for "show me" and filter for all items which are not marked as "no" (doing it this way rather than filtering for "yes" prevents the human error of not flagging sometihng important resulting in something important becoming hidden).

If you want you can now set up a view (table / filter and group if you like) specifically to show a filtered view of all the key critical paths across all your projects.

If you have linked between your projects you will of course get a critical path for the linked projects.  If you want to see the critical aspects of a project which is off the combined critical path you will need to follow Rod's suggestion of setting a deadline on the end delievrable of that project/branch/subtask to force the total slack for that stream of activity to 0 and thus flagging a critical path.

Hope this helps

Miles

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:12 PM