Licensing errors on Small Business Server 2003 SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• My SBS 2003 server just started reporting almost continuous pop-up errors with the message: "Warning: License usage for a product licensed in per server mode has exceeded the maximum number of licenses purchased and will prohibit further licenses from being granted. Consult the Application event log or Licensing from the Administrative Tools folder for more information." While these errors were popping up, all users on the network were unable to access any resources on the server.

This seems like a straightforward message except that the server has 25 licenses installed and we have never used more than 21 at any time. Also, the Licensing applet in Administrative Tools is currently showing 1 license used out of 25 in spite of the fact that there are more than a dozen computers currently logged in to the domain.

I checked the Application Event Log and all of the Licensing errors are: "No license was available for user TAM\Georgia using product FilePrint. Use Licensing from the Administrative Tools folder to ensure that you have sufficient licenses." with different user names, so it looks like a problem with access to the printing subsystem. I rebooted the server and the errors stopped and users were able to access resources on the server again, but the server is still reporting that same odd 1 License used in the Licensing applet so I'm concerned that it will start happening again.

The errors started shortly after a power outage in the office which resulted in some intermittent connectivity problems on the network. It's possible that lost connections on the workstations were locking licenses on the server so that individual stations are trying to use multiple client licenses. Or, based on the server's report that only one license is actually being used, it could be something within the Licensing system that is not counting correctly. Either way, I don't know how to go about verifying and correcting the problem.

The server is running Small Business Server 2003 with service pack 2 and all client workstations are Windows XP Pro with at least service pack 2 (some have SP3).

I know that this isn't a lot of information but I'm honestly not sure where to start troubleshooting this problem since searches on Google and Microsoft for these error messages just say that I need to install more licenses on the server (which I don't need).

Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:58 PM

Answers