Black screen after update after Factory image restore RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my problem. Computer is a Dell Inspiron 531. Running windows vista premium x32. Been working fine. Computer is left on most of the time. I got up one morning and screen was black, no mouse, no nothing. Held power button and restarted. Startup repair attempted to repair, to no avail. Safe mode works, however still can't boot in normal mode. I've changed bios to boot from pci-e to onboard graphics, and changed moniter cable, same issue. I used the RE to do a factory image restore, bingo, problem fixed computer booted fine. I allowed windows update to install all 93 recommended or important updates, still did ok, until I restarted the pc. Same problem, black screen. Got to safe mode with command prompt, and ran sfc /scannow , which resulted in "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." I can't really afford a new pc, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Otherwise, I'll have to plan on using it for target practice.

Ken

Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:58 PM

All replies

• New update. I just did a factory image reset, with format and everything. Reset went as planned, everything back up and running. I didn't allow windows to update anything, and went ahead and tried to restart, with same exact result. Black screen with no cursors or anything. This appears after Microsoft bar appears and before login. PLEASE HELP. This is driving me crazy.
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:31 PM