Windows 8 Versions? RRS feed

• Question

• looks like the RTM is on TechNet :D

But what is the difference between: -

• Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English)
    • Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
    • Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English)
    • Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
    • Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English)
    • Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)

I understand that "N" is thanks to our M8's in Germany so will not be download that version!

Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk

• Edited by o0MattE0o Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:05 PM
    • Moved by Anthony_Mann Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:47 PM (From:Windows 8 Pre-release)
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:07 PM

Answers

• Obviously the English and English UK versions are just slightly different language packs.  Windows 8 is the basic version and Windows Enterprise is meant for large enterprise customers, and includes features for easy deployment, etc.  You can find more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions 

The "N" versions do not include Media Player.  MS had to start shipping this version after they lost an antitrust lawsuit (it's a European law regarding monopolistic activities).

There's also Windows 8 Pro, which is similar to Windows 7 Pro, but for some reason it's not available on TechNet yet, only for VLK customers. (Edit: I can confirm now that the generic "Windows 8" ISO includes the Pro version and that the key you receive is a Windows 8 Pro key, at least for me and I have a TechNet Pro subscription)

Hope that helps.

Josh

• Marked as answer by o0MattE0o Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:30 PM
    • Edited by Mercutio84 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:15 PM

All replies

• Obviously the English and English UK versions are just slightly different language packs.  Windows 8 is the basic version and Windows Enterprise is meant for large enterprise customers, and includes features for easy deployment, etc.  You can find more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions 

The "N" versions do not include Media Player.  MS had to start shipping this version after they lost an antitrust lawsuit (it's a European law regarding monopolistic activities).

There's also Windows 8 Pro, which is similar to Windows 7 Pro, but for some reason it's not available on TechNet yet, only for VLK customers. (Edit: I can confirm now that the generic "Windows 8" ISO includes the Pro version and that the key you receive is a Windows 8 Pro key, at least for me and I have a TechNet Pro subscription)

Hope that helps.

Josh

• Marked as answer by o0MattE0o Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:30 PM
    • Edited by Mercutio84 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Is Pro supposed to go up for us normal folk soon too?
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:19 PM
  • In another thread someone posted that the "Windows 8" download includes both versions, and it's a matter of using either a Windows 8 key or a Windows 8 Pro key.  I have yet to verify that because TechNet is dying under the stress of all the downloads :)
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:20 PM
  • looks like the RTM is on TechNet :D

But what is the difference between: -

• Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English)
    • Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
    • Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English)
    • Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
    • Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English)
    • Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)

Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk

Ah, after all the Metro stuff, I am delighted to see finally some typical familiar Microsoft terms!

• Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English) - The standard "Pro" Windows 8 (US English)
    • Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom) Same, just British English
    • Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English) Pretty much like Pro, the primary difference is handling of activation and licensing. I am not sure whether W8 Enterprise has more features compared to Pro now (Win 7 did)
    • Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom) Same as above, except for the language
    • Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English) That's the versions without media player, they exist because of the EU lawsuits. Pretty much no one buys them..
    • Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom) Same as above, except for the language
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:22 PM
  • There's also Windows 8 Pro, which is similar to Windows 7 Pro, but for some reason it's not available on TechNet yet, only for VLK customers.

Hm, I thought the ones without any further description are automatically the Pro versions?
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:24 PM
  • There's also Windows 8 Pro, which is similar to Windows 7 Pro, but for some reason it's not available on TechNet yet, only for VLK customers.

Hm, I thought the ones without any further description are automatically the Pro versions?

I posted that above, both versions are on the single ISO apparently.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:29 PM
  • just strange that Microsoft have split UK English and US English normally they come on the same DVD, any way Im having trouble download and getting a product key so cant install will try later...

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:32 PM
  • 3.27GB in 5 mins :D just need a product key now but the site keeps messing up :(

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:59 PM
  • same for me, i am downloading it but it refuses to give a key, can't even start chat to get help. must be real swamped
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Keep trying, it took me the better part of an hour but eventually I got through and have a key now.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hope this helps...

• Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English) - Standard English version
    • Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom) - UK English version
    • Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English) - Volume license US English version
    • Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom) - Volume license UK English version
    • Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English) - Volume license US English version without media components
    • Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom) - Volume license UK English version without media components

The basic differences boil down to feature set for the edition (for example you cant create Windows to Go workspaces with the standard edition but you can with the Enterprise editions) and the way in which they are activated.  Typically, the general and Professional editions will require a product key to be entered during the installation process before the setup will move forward and the volume license editions will activate with KMS or Active Directory-based Activation.

Activation and validation now occur in a single pass which happens on the first boot into the operating system.

--Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:30 PM
  • It would have been more helpful with Microsoft explaining the purpose of the "N" versions.  We use MAPS and VL but my download of the "Win 8 Pro N" requires a key, and says your regional support center has to be contacted in order to receive the key.  Really?  Any way to make this a bit easier for us to work with both versions? 

Thanks for the above explanations, was helpful!  Saved me time in messing w/ the "N" version at this point.

Exch2003 MCP

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Probably because most English people hate having the American version of English on their computers, I for one don't like it and am glad they have separated the true English language and the modified one.
    • Proposed as answer by Blue Sky 618 Friday, July 19, 2013 12:34 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:06 PM
  • There are two general options for Windows 8 on TechNet Standard, Windows 8 Standard and Enterprise. I could only download Standard version and got a key. When it was installed, it installed the Windows Pro as reported by computer. There was no option to choose Standard or Pro on ISO. I guess the description on the TechNet for the Standard is wrong.

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:03 AM