\Boot\BCD error (0x000014c) RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the full story.  A friend of mine gave me their laptop because they weren't able to get it to boot.  It was having the "BOOTMGR is compressed" error, so I booted up my MiniPE and uncompressed the drive.  After uncompressing, I restarted the computer and it booted up just fine.  Once inside Windows, I went to Shut Down...Restart the computer.  Once it rebooted, instead of going to Windows I get the error as follows:

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

File: \Boot\BCD
    Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Alright, so I've seen this error a bunch of times before.  Until now, I had only ever seen this error on Vista machines and I've read that it can happen to Win 7 users, too.  The problem is, this computer is running Windows XP SP3.

When my buddy bought this laptop (HP Mini 1000... the really tiny one with no built-in DVD/CD and only has a 16GB SanDisk pSSD drive), he opted to buy the Windows XP Downgrade directly from HP.  This computer normally runs Vista (I don't know how with its specs) but this one was imaged by HP for Windows XP.

Is there a solution for this for XP users?  I've already run CHKDSK which corrected a lot of errors, and I've already run an MBRFIX which didn't do squat.  I wouldn't normally hesitate to run a Repair on the OS, but HP didn't send him any operating system discs.  If I use a TechNet XP Home SP3 cd, I don't think it will accept his product key (damn HP OEM).

Any suggestions?

P.S. This isn't related, but what's with all the healthpills posts advertising online pharmaceuticals?  Do they really think anyone who frequents tech support forums are gonna follow that link?  :o
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:20 PM

Answers

• Okay, I fixed it.  I fired up my MiniPE and went to the location of the file in question.

I'm not sure how this file even made its way onto the computer, but there was a hidden file: 'bootmgr' without any extension which was executing before Windows.  I renamed it to bootmgr.wtf and restarted, and sure enough it booted up no problem.

I wouldn't recommend this as a permanent fix, the best solution for this problem is still to do an OS repair.  But if you have no other option, this seems to have done the trick.  I'm gonna do a full virus scan on here now and run a bunch of integrity checks to make sure all is well, but I think the worst part is over :)

Thanks again securityguy for the MBR solutions, I'm sure I'll have a use for that in the future.
    • Marked as answer by Sickethunder Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:40 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:35 PM

All replies

• you may want to try fixmbr from the recovery console
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Tried it, no dice.  The operation was successful but still getting the same error on boot.  It's almost as if it's trying to load Vista instead of XP.

I just found out that he didn't buy directly from HP after all.  He bought it from Best Buy and they did an in-house downgrade before selling it to him.  Makes a lot more sense as to why it's configured all crazy.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:46 PM
  • without doing a repair install, using something like Testdisk to re-writed the mbr is about the best way I can see

Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:52 PM
  • a description of writing the mbr code with that is right here
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:57 PM
  • and this may help if you decide to try something like that
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Thanks a bunch I'll give this a shot and let you know how I make out.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:15 PM
  • just read the last one good, it describes the MBR on an XP system in depth
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Okay, I fixed it.  I fired up my MiniPE and went to the location of the file in question.

I'm not sure how this file even made its way onto the computer, but there was a hidden file: 'bootmgr' without any extension which was executing before Windows.  I renamed it to bootmgr.wtf and restarted, and sure enough it booted up no problem.

I wouldn't recommend this as a permanent fix, the best solution for this problem is still to do an OS repair.  But if you have no other option, this seems to have done the trick.  I'm gonna do a full virus scan on here now and run a bunch of integrity checks to make sure all is well, but I think the worst part is over :)

Thanks again securityguy for the MBR solutions, I'm sure I'll have a use for that in the future.
    • Marked as answer by Sickethunder Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:40 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:35 PM
  • im glad it worked for you, that should only be used by someone that has a pretty good knowledge of pc's though, if that took care of it please mark the post(s) that helped as answered. good luck
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

I got the same issue, but after I the install and get to the point of adding in the console. I shows there is not hard drive found, I checked it shows up in the BIOS though.... Any idea on this?

Friday, January 21, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Actually it is not hard to fix this this problem

What you will need to fix it is : 

1- A 2gig flashdrive (I used a 2g and it worked,not sure if any other size works)

First visit this link  https://www.dropbox.com/s/t88gryfudq3741n/RepairDiscWindowsVista32-bit.iso (Thats my dropbox which contains the Windows vista Iso  DO NOT EXTRACT IT , just put it on your desktop and leave it there.

2-Visit this link and download and download the usb installer(On the bottom of the page it will mark Download uii in a blue box) , this will turn your flashdrive into a bootable flash drive http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/  

3-Run the program and it should look like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/100773530@N06/

(Make sure you select Windows Vista Installer and note that this will not reset anything on your victim Computer )

4-Now in the select your iso option in the program select the iso which you downloaded from my dropbox by selecting browse AGAIN DO NOT EXTRACT 

5-Now put your flashdrive in your computer and select the drive And when everything is done it should look like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/100773530@N06/  

6-Now select create and note that THIS WILL FORMAT YOUR FLASHDRIVE\

7-Now you have a bootable flashdrive 

8-Now insert your flashdrive into yoor victim computer and go into your Bios and set your usb as your first boot device by moving it first in the order (If you dont know how to do this visit this link) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8VZ95_XFA8

9-Now restart your computer and it should mark Windows is Loading files on bottom of the screen Just leave your victim computer like this for about 10 - 15 minutes and it should just have a blank screen without the user accounts.

10-Restart your computer by pressing the button on the Tower and select Last known Good Configiration DO NOT TAKE OUT YOUR FLASHDRIVE and your computer will start normally 

11-Take out your flashdrive and restart computer again and you are good to go

When this works please vote thats all i ask Hope I helped you
    • Proposed as answer by I.T. Wiz Saturday, August 24, 2013 5:33 PM
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 5:33 PM
  • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8e7137a8-5acf-4b2d-9668-01ca4cc52732/bootbcd-error?forum=itprovistadeployment

this is my link asked in forum ...

please answer if possible

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:12 PM