Word not saving RRS feed

• Question

• I have problems with Word not being able to save. Every time I work in a file I loose all the work. 

I've had the problem before and reinstalled office 365. This resolved the problem, but now I have it again. 

It's not a sustainable solution that I have to reinstall office every now and then

Do you know what's going on?

• Edited by lundse91 Sunday, January 27, 2019 12:29 PM
    Sunday, January 27, 2019 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please use Save as for your important documents for backup. Then create a new test document for further analysis. I suggest you can try the following steps:

1. Does the issue happen to all Word documents?
    2. Check if there is any issue when saving other Office files such as Excel workbook to PowerPoint presentations.
    3. In Word, go to File > Options > Add-ins, select Manage COM add-ins, click Go. Clear all checkbox for all listed add-ins. Click OK to save the settings. Restart Word, test if the saving issue can be fixed.
    4. Go to %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates, cut the Normal.dotm file to other location. Then restart Word app. A new default Normal.dotm file will be created automatically. Check if the issue can be fixed.

Feel free to let me know the results.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact: tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, January 28, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Where are you saving documents? To the local drive? To a network location? Or are you saving to OneDrive?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:20 PM