none
UAG - DA-reconnect time changeable? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

some our clients tell us that it takes 3-5 min untill DirectAccess ist reconnected.

Is there any way to speed it up?

Thanks, Berleg

Friday, August 3, 2012 6:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Berleg,

Sadly, I don't think you can speed things up any more with any GPO/registry changes.
    Basically there is an increasing delay built-in to not force the client to stress the network/internet connection more than necessary.
    (the delay is increased with each failed attempt to connect)

I often disable/enable the internet connectivity to speed it up if I get stuck waiting for a reconnection, but haven't done any real tests to make sure that it actually resets the timers.

Best wishes,
    Jonas Blom

Jonas Blom | Relevo AB | http://blog.nrpt.se

• Marked as answer by Berleg Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:49 PM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Hi

It's not normal. Even is you switch from one Internet connection to another, client should be able to reconnect within thrity seconds from my own experience. Can you activate extended IPSEC logging on your UAG (Advanced Audit Policy Configuration) for success and failure events to trace theses reconnections.

BenoitS - Simple by Design http://danstoncloud.com/blogs/simplebydesign/default.aspx

• Marked as answer by Berleg Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Sounds like there may be something wrong either with the DA environment or maybe some policy on these machines that is causing a hang. One thing you might want to try, on the client machine if you restart the IP Helper service it will restart the DA connection process. I suppose you could create a simple batch file that restarts the IP Helper service and your users could click on it when they were having trouble. Not a permanent fix but it would be interesting to see if this caused the reconnect to happen right away or not.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Berleg,

Sadly, I don't think you can speed things up any more with any GPO/registry changes.
    Basically there is an increasing delay built-in to not force the client to stress the network/internet connection more than necessary.
    (the delay is increased with each failed attempt to connect)

I often disable/enable the internet connectivity to speed it up if I get stuck waiting for a reconnection, but haven't done any real tests to make sure that it actually resets the timers.

Best wishes,
    Jonas Blom

Jonas Blom | Relevo AB | http://blog.nrpt.se

• Marked as answer by Berleg Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Hi

It's not normal. Even is you switch from one Internet connection to another, client should be able to reconnect within thrity seconds from my own experience. Can you activate extended IPSEC logging on your UAG (Advanced Audit Policy Configuration) for success and failure events to trace theses reconnections.

BenoitS - Simple by Design http://danstoncloud.com/blogs/simplebydesign/default.aspx

• Hi,

thanks for your hints. At this moment I have no access to the problem-pc but I will report if I found the reson.

Thanks, Berleg

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Sounds like there may be something wrong either with the DA environment or maybe some policy on these machines that is causing a hang. One thing you might want to try, on the client machine if you restart the IP Helper service it will restart the DA connection process. I suppose you could create a simple batch file that restarts the IP Helper service and your users could click on it when they were having trouble. Not a permanent fix but it would be interesting to see if this caused the reconnect to happen right away or not.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:00 PM