downgraded my windows vista ultimate administrator account to standard user. RRS feed

• Question

• I downgraded my windows vista ultimate administrator account to standard user. Now every time i try to update or install "User Account Control" is constantly asking me to (Type an administrator's password, and then click OK). The problem is i can't do this because OK is disabled (grayed out) and no place to type in the admin password either. How do i change this account back to administrator's or even enable the default local admin account from here???
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:09 AM

Answers

• Sir, please go to 

Start --> Run... --> Control userpasswords2 --> Double Click in Your User Name --> Group Membership --> Change it From Standard User to Administrator User --> OK --> Restart your computer

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, November 4, 2011 2:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you cannot perform above steps and there are no other administrator accounts, you may try to boot into Safe Mode to check if the built-in administrator account is enabled there.

See HOW TO: Enable the build-in Administrator account in Windows Vista

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 2:56 AM

All replies

• Sir, please go to 

Start --> Run... --> Control userpasswords2 --> Double Click in Your User Name --> Group Membership --> Change it From Standard User to Administrator User --> OK --> Restart your computer

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, November 4, 2011 2:49 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you cannot perform above steps and there are no other administrator accounts, you may try to boot into Safe Mode to check if the built-in administrator account is enabled there.

See HOW TO: Enable the build-in Administrator account in Windows Vista

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 2:56 AM