none
Cannot open website on one server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a strange problem, we have one server (Windows 2003 with SP2, IE7 (7.0.5730.13)) that cannot get to an internal website.

When I type the website domain.com it resolve to www.domain.com and displays the website.

When I type the website www.domain.com it cannot find the website and it BING show the www.domain.com and when I select that link it show the BING search results again.

Here is what I tried.

1. Cleared the internet Cache same problem.

2. Cleared the DNS Cache using IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS same problem

3. I can ping www.domain.com and domain.com and they resolve the name correctly.

4. I can login to another machine (workstation or server) and all works fine I am able to bring up the website using both www.domain.com and domain.com

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jude

jude
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:51 PM

All replies

• cannot get to an internal website.

Disable search from the Address bar.   I can't remember the details for IE7 but in IE8 you have an option in the Advanced tab for this:  Do not submit unknown addresses to your Auto-Search provider.   IE9 makes this clearer.  E.g. there is now an explicit option about treating single words as search terms and more significantly in Manage Search Providers you can actually disable (implicit) search from the Address bar.   Otherwise, I think you are going to have to put a protocol prefix on your request to make it absolutely clear that you are making a request and not a search.

Another thing to try would be making sure that the lookup was pre-loaded in the dnscache, so IE doesn't have to do a real one.   To do that you would need to ensure that all parts of the lookup were cached, e.g. the canonical name's A Record and the alias's CNAME.   Your symptom suggests that IE is trying to do the lookup for the CNAME first, then running out of time to get the A Record before it decides that probably you are really trying to do a search.   Use  ipconfig /displaydns  to check on whether you have all the parts of the lookup and how much time IE will have to use them (e.g. as given by their Time To Live values.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for responding. Here is an update.

1. I am still trying to find how to disable search in IE7.

I checked the DNS cache and it shows the A record for both the www.domain.com and domain.com and they are the same.

As and FYI I cleared the cache using IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and then tried to open both websites.

I also tried to do an NSLOOKUP on both www.domain.com and domain.com and they both resolve to the same IP address and server name. I tried other DCs in our domain just to make sure that the DNS was functioning properly and it was in sync with the other DNS server in the organization.

jude
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:22 PM
  • I am still trying to find how to disable search in IE7.

I checked the DNS cache and it shows the A record for both the www.domain.com and domain.com and they are the same.

Since you have two cases to compare, do the same diagnostics for a working case too.

If there is no delay or problem in the lookup we may be on the wrong track, e.g. the search is getting invoked for some other reason.

In that case I would do some tracing with Fiddler2, again tracing and comparing both cases.

You could get additional insight about what is going on by using ProcMon, again tracing and comparing both cases, so you don't have to know exactly what it is that you are looking at in either case.   ; )

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks I will do that. The problem is that it will take me a few days, as this is a server and I need to get permission to install fiddler2 on it. I am a consultant working at a customer site.

I will let you know what happens.

I approlize in advance for not getting back to you sooner as I will have to get the permission first and then do the troubleshooting.

Jude

jude
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Hi Robert,

While I was waiting for the approval to install Fiddler, I discovered that there was a configureation problem with the ISA 2006. It was rewriting the headers incorrectly. I have made the changes to the ISA server and the changes will take effect tonight I will let you know what happens after the change are done.

Jude

jude
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Hi Robert,

I made the changes to the ISA server and still having the same problems:

When I go to www.domain.com it resolves correctly and displays the website with out any problems.

When I go to domain.com it still takes me to bing and tell me that it cannot resolve the name.

Something to add; I decided to go home and test this configuration out. Here are the results:

www.domain.com resolves correctly

domain.com resolves to www.domain.com and all is fine.

This one has me at a complete lost. Any ideas?

jude
    Monday, May 2, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Any ideas? 

Have you been able to try using Fiddler2 yet?   BTW that might not be enough anyway, so you should also be thinking about getting a full TCP packet trace, e.g. using NetMon or WireShark--especially if your problem can be reproduced if you use a protocol prefix on your requests (it's not clear if that's the case).   BTW if you can install IE9 instead you could get a less functional alternative to Fiddler embedded in its Developer Tools, Network tab (new in IE9).

Good luck

Robert

---

Monday, May 2, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Sorry for the long delay on responding back.

I was able to use Fiddler2, however it did not give me enough info, so I had to install Netmon on the machine. I was able to get the trace from the machine and tried to compare it to another machine where it is working and I am not sure how to read the information given back to me.

In regards to installing IE9, due to security restriction put on this machine I cannot install IE9 at this time. I am a consultant working on site and the company has not given me approval to install it on this machine.

Can you provide me with some information on how to read the Netmon trace, this would be helpful. I am familiar with Netmon but do not know how to interpret the communication in regards to websites?

Jude 

jude
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:56 PM
  • I was able to use Fiddler2, however it did not give me enough info

Really?  Surely it at least clarifies your symptoms?

TTTT I haven't used NetMon yet.  I'm familiar with WireShark but really only use it for its Follow TCP command.  I will have to see if NetMon has something analogous.   Perhaps someone else will drop some hints for us.   ; )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Friday, May 27, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Just to provide you an update.

The machine was in a vm so what I did was to remove and add back the NICs same problem.

I checked after this and I am still having the same problem.

I am also at a loss so any help from someone else would be greatly appreciated

Jude

Regards Jude Silveira
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:39 PM