Proclarity freezing / access issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

Today morning, everybody can't access proclarity web professional, and I just restarted analysis services and it works now. Does anybody has a similar problem and has any idea with this symptom?

Previously there was a similar issue one time that proclarity was freezed and I restarted the AS again.

How could I check this symptom and how can i prevent it?

Any kind of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

FYI, I've checked the log file and the job for cube process was failed today morning, but it suppose not to affect the proclarity server to browse the data in my opinion.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hello again,

Processing should not affect your user's connection to the cube, however this is dependant on many factors (the type of cube, type of processing, memory consumption, etc.). SQL Profiler or Performance Monitor are useful tools in these situations, as they can uncover what's taking place behind the scenes. Here are a few very helpful links that may point you in the right direction if you're looking to fine tune your olap processing techniques:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/bestpractice/ssaspbpr.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/ssas2005perfguide.mspx

However, if you're experiencing "freezing" during query execution and have only tied one incident to the time of processing, then processing may simply be a red herring.  What type of MDX is being generated within ProClarity Professional?  Are you using Non-Emtpy Crossjoin, filtering, retrieving complex calcluations?  If you'd like to send a copy of an MDX statement (within ProClarity - View / MDX Editor) I'd be happy to see what I can suggest.

Thanks,

Amanda

Thursday, December 27, 2007 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What were the users seeing when they attempted to open a book using the web professional?  Are you using SSAS or AS 2000 and what version of Proclarity are you running? 

Thanks!
    Dawn
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:39 AM
  • Neither opening the book or just opening the wep pro does not work at that time.

The screen was just freezing(not responding)  and they can't go into proclarity at all.

We are using SSAS 2005 with proclarity analytic server 6.3

Thanks.

FYI,

Today, they can't access cube again,  and I got an error message like:

'An error was encountered in the transport layer'. (This is only for my case, not for other users)

Or i'm guessing that it might be possible to get this error while I just restarted analysis services again.

However, I'm not quite clear why this symptom happens recently.

For the cube permission, we created the role in cubes and added user group.

And I don't see any problem while accessing data, therefore, I'm guessing that this problem is not the insufficient permission issue.

I found the symptom for 'An error was encountered in the transport layer'  on the web:

CAUSES

This issue occurs because ProClarity Professional is in a different domain than the OLAP server and the domain trust is not enabled.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, make sure that the ProClarity Professional client and the OLAP server are on the same domain or on trusted domains. Additionally, if you connect to a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services cube, you can specify a valid domain user in the Advanced Options area in the Connect dialog box. The domain user is for the domain where the cube resides.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Hello,

I am curious to know if any abnormal or unexpected terminations are occuring for the AS Service.  I have seen prior cases where this AS termination "breaks" ProClarity's connection to a cube and ProClarity does not recover from it until you restart the AS Service.  I suggest upgrading your ProClarity clients and server machines to the most recent ProClarity hotfix version available to see if that remedies the problem .  If you still encounter the same behavior after upgrading to the latest build please do let us know immediately.

Regards,

Amanda Ruffner 

Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:49 PM
  •  

We are having the most recent version of proclarity analytic server (6.3) and patched the hotfix two weeks ago.

I have a question for you.

I just want to know that if cube is refreshed (processing) while users browse the data at the same time then it will cause the connection /Freezing issue? I saw the log file that when I ran the package for the cube processing during the buisness hours, users had a freezing issue. (But this is the one of cases regarding the freezing/ clocking issue).

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:31 PM
  • Hello again,

Processing should not affect your user's connection to the cube, however this is dependant on many factors (the type of cube, type of processing, memory consumption, etc.). SQL Profiler or Performance Monitor are useful tools in these situations, as they can uncover what's taking place behind the scenes. Here are a few very helpful links that may point you in the right direction if you're looking to fine tune your olap processing techniques:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/bestpractice/ssaspbpr.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/ssas2005perfguide.mspx

However, if you're experiencing "freezing" during query execution and have only tied one incident to the time of processing, then processing may simply be a red herring.  What type of MDX is being generated within ProClarity Professional?  Are you using Non-Emtpy Crossjoin, filtering, retrieving complex calcluations?  If you'd like to send a copy of an MDX statement (within ProClarity - View / MDX Editor) I'd be happy to see what I can suggest.

Thanks,

Amanda

Thursday, December 27, 2007 9:00 PM