Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Microsoft Surface 2 Pro with Windows 10 Enterprise. Activation code impossible to find. It is no longer on a corporate network. 

W10 is performing well although at the right hand bottom you can always read "Activate Windows" on the back ground.

I have decided to purchase Windows 10 Home or Pro to have a new key and a new version of Windows.

I suppose that in order to make it work I ought to downgrade from Enterprise to Professional,  but I have no clue on how to do this.

Anybody can help?

Thanks.

Friday, July 8, 2016 1:03 AM

Answers

• Your idea is correct, buy a Home or Pro key can activate corresponding version’s system.

From my survey, we can downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Pro by modify registry, but after degrading, your system might be non-activated, and you still need a Windows 10 Pro/Home iso image or a bootable USB drive or a DVD drive.

Look at this video for more information

downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5GnFru0zas

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Therefore, directly execute a clean install seems more simple, just buy a product key, then get your Windows 10 from here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:55 AM
  • There is no downgrade or upgrade path from Windows 10 Enterprise version.You need to perform a Clean installation in order to install Windows 10 Professional.

You need to download and create installation media, either on a DVD or a flash drive, and install it from there.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Friday, July 8, 2016 1:16 AM
  • You don't need to buy a Windows 10 key actually.
    The Surface Pro 2 has it's own Windows 8.1 Pro license so you can use the free upgrade to Windows 10 before the end of July.

Didn't test if you can immediately install a Windows 10 because mine was upgraded last year before it was possible to use a Windows 7/8.1 key to install Windows 10.

If it doesn't work, you can still download the Windows 8.1 Recovery media from this site then perform an in-place upgrade.
    Download a recovery image for your Surface

Gerald

Monday, July 11, 2016 12:00 PM

All replies

• There is no downgrade or upgrade path from Windows 10 Enterprise version.You need to perform a Clean installation in order to install Windows 10 Professional.

You need to download and create installation media, either on a DVD or a flash drive, and install it from there.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Friday, July 8, 2016 1:16 AM
  • Your idea is correct, buy a Home or Pro key can activate corresponding version’s system.

From my survey, we can downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Pro by modify registry, but after degrading, your system might be non-activated, and you still need a Windows 10 Pro/Home iso image or a bootable USB drive or a DVD drive.

Look at this video for more information

downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5GnFru0zas

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Therefore, directly execute a clean install seems more simple, just buy a product key, then get your Windows 10 from here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:55 AM
  • You don't need to buy a Windows 10 key actually.
    The Surface Pro 2 has it's own Windows 8.1 Pro license so you can use the free upgrade to Windows 10 before the end of July.

Didn't test if you can immediately install a Windows 10 because mine was upgraded last year before it was possible to use a Windows 7/8.1 key to install Windows 10.

If it doesn't work, you can still download the Windows 8.1 Recovery media from this site then perform an in-place upgrade.
    Download a recovery image for your Surface

Gerald

Monday, July 11, 2016 12:00 PM
  • I realize this is an old thread, but it's the top hit on Google so I thought I would update.

You can, in-fact, replace your Enterprise key with a valid Pro key from within System -> Change Product Key.  After you apply the key and activate, close the System Control Panel and re-open and it should reflect that you are now running Pro.

• Proposed as answer by Fregi Ventum Friday, April 28, 2017 5:53 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 5:46 PM
  • This worked absolutely perfect.
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Totally worked for me too.
    Friday, June 9, 2017 6:08 PM
  • I had the same problem with my Surface Book, and was able to downgrade without buying a new Windows license or re-installing.

The Surface Book came with Windows 10 Pro, so it has a license "integrated" somehow.

From an elevated command prompt, you can run:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Then, press the Windows key and type 'Activation' to get to the "System Settings -> Activation" UI, click "Change Product Key", and paste in the value.

This changed the edition of Windows from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro. No re-install or new key required.

-Scott

Friday, February 23, 2018 6:36 PM
  • You might not be able to, but you can try the following:- this worked for me and is from another post:

1. Open Registry Editor(WIN + R, type regedit, hit Enter)

2. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion

3. Change EditionID to Pro (double click EditionID, change value, click OK). In your case it should at the moment show Enterprise

4. Change ProductName to Windows 10 Pro. In your case it should at the moment show Windows 10 Professional

5. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion, change the same two values as in steps 3 and 4 above

6. Close the Registry Editor

7. Insert the Windows 10 Proinstallation media, do an in-place upgrade by launching the setup from desktop(not booting with Windows 10 Pro install media)

8. When asked, enter your validWindows 10 Pro product key and select what to keep(settings, personal files and apps, only personal files or nothing)

9. Windows 10 Pro in-place upgrade will be done now.

• Proposed as answer by Shawn K. Hall Monday, September 10, 2018 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 4:52 AM
  • Thanks Sir.  That's a perfect solution
    Sunday, March 25, 2018 8:02 PM
  • Their guides are already outdated.

There's a faster way to do that now in which i noticed when i do it, no need to install the disk, or do a media creation tool. here's my faster version and confirmed working last 4/6/2018

1. Open Registry Editor(WIN + R, type regedit, hit Enter)

2. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion

3. Change EditionID to Professional (double click EditionID, change value, click OK). In your case it should at the moment show Enterprise

4. Change ProductName to Windows 10 Professional. In your case it should at the moment show Windows 10 Professional

5. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion, change the same two values as in steps 3 and 4 above

6. Close the Registry Editor

7. Open System>Change Product Key > Enter Windows 10 Pro Key > Click "Activate".

The application will gather the registry info and treat it as a Professional version already.

"Mark As Solution if your problem has been solved" 

Thank you.

Monday, April 9, 2018 2:28 AM
  • Perfect Solution!

It worked

Many Thanks

Friday, May 4, 2018 9:10 AM
  • Didn't work for me...   

build 10.0.17134.228

Maybe it's the build, and patches that won't let me but I've tried everything on here.

My only choice is to do a clean install and won't allow me to save files/apps/data.

Friday, September 7, 2018 5:28 PM
  • I have had the Win Store do this to me twice, where when I had to do a clean install it says it's not Pro so I go to the Store and to the page where it says some BS and has those morons in hard hats, lol , and the big square button up on the upper left just says "INSTALL" since I bought the Pro upgrade there to avoid the exact situation of showing "NOT ACTIVATED, BLAH BLAH BUULLLSHIT" but after a forced reset it said Home version then too, and so the first time I thought I had accidentally hit the Enterprise Edition and just found out 5 hours ago when I CAREFULLY made sure it said Pro, there was like a 1.5 minute "install" - and once again NOT ACTIVATED; I spent weeks the last time looking for a way to not have to clean install, and finally I just did; so here it is a year later, and Ive been frantically searching for a simple quick fix, KNOWING there had to be one since it took 3 seconds to "install upgrade" - I was literally freaking and was like a insane person searching EVERYWHERE - I mean I just installed the new disk and did an install the other day and hadn't even thought about setting up the backup or doing my usual system image which is easier and so necessary- BUT ANYWAY THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!! I clicked on this thread just to glance through and see more of the same and thank GOD I stopped and read your post- I literally had it fixed in 2 seconds! I just KNEW I was yet again not gonna be able to use the computer again for 8 hours..... SO THIS NEEDS TO BE THE FIRST THING ON GOOGLE WHEN ANYONE TYPES DOWNGRADE WIN 10 ENTERPRISE TO WIN 10 PRO!!!
    WOW - I can actually breathe now!!
    Saturday, January 5, 2019 3:28 AM
  • I'm with metroboy here!! My client asked me to upgrade a Windows 10 Home system to Pro. So we went through the process of creating a Microsoft account, adding a credit card and buying the Windows 10 Pro upgrade. I then hit upgrade and it darn well upgraded to Enterprise!! No way to go back except a clean install which will mean I'll either have to take the hit myself cost wise or bill the client.

I'm very anal when doing upgrades like this and normally image the laptop first but this time we needed to get it done quickly. Hmm... I'm pretty sure I didn't select Enterprise. Sure, that was an option but we'd just bought a Pro upgrade.

So taking an image now (not that one can do much with it) before a clean Windows 10 install. Darn well better pick up the upgrade via the Microsoft account...

PS. Why oh why oh why cannot you not logon to Store using an Office 365 account? Microsoft want to separate Office 365 and Microsoft accounts - you can't create a Microsoft account using an existing Office 365 email address anymore. Means let another account to manage...

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:50 PM
  • Hey Guys!!!

Here is the QUICKEST SOLUTION. No REGISTRY CHANGES NEEDED.

I had the same extrange problem where my installation finished on an Enterprise version, instead of a Pro one.

I also bought an online version, and I was not able to activate it, neither I had a product Key.

After calling Microsoft, they just gave me this:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/default-product-key-to-upgrade-from-windows-10-home-to-pro

Just go to SETTINGS -> ACTIVATION -> CHANGE PRODUCT KEY and enter the following DEFAULT PRODUCT KEY:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Friday, October 4, 2019 9:42 PM