Is Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 required for Access 2007 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine? RRS feed

• Question

• I  have a few applications written in C# and VB under VS 2005 and VS 2008 that interact with local Access 2007 databases that run fine on XP, but, on Windows 7 64-bit PC's, we get the error that 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' is not registerd on the machine.  Following several threads in the MS Forums, they lead to an article that speaks to Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 but stop at Vista and Access 2003.  Are we dealing with an incompatibibilty issue here?  I have downloaded the Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 on a test machine, following the instructions, but I still get the error.

Harry Vermillion Colorado Parks and Wildlife Aquatic Reseach - Fort Collins

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This error indicates that you may not have the latest Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 on your computer, I recommend you to obtain the latest service pack for the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database Engine and keep a Jet 4.0 database in top working condition

Also, you can check the steps in this thread The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine, Windwos 7 to check the result.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 17, 2012 5:26 AM
  • It's not a matter of it being on the machine, sir.  It needs to be registered in the assembly area, access to which is restricted to SYSTEM.  Its rumored a tool, GACUtil, is required and its supposed to be in an SDK , GRMSDK or GRMSDKIAI depending on the x86 or x64 status/needs of your particular Windows O/S.  I have those, I'm going to give it a try today.

Thank you for your interest. Since you're part of Microsoft, you should be looking closely at this type of problem.  Backwards compatibility IS a big issue, not just for "older" developers, but also for users.

Monday, December 17, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, if the issue persists after performing the steps, you can also post the issue in MSDN forum for these applications issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:40 AM
  • The problem is persisting.  It appears, after moving the C# solution to VS 2008 and rebuilding and publishing separate solutions with "Any CPU", "x86" and "x64" selected in the configuration manager and the project properties page, it runs perfectly under XP Professional, but installing any of those three separate builds to either a Windows 7 32-bit OR a Windows 64-bit platform brings up problems - and this project reads tightly formatted Excel spreadsheet files into a SQL Server 2005 database.

Likewise with the VB  project.  It still wants to see Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0 registered on the machine, whether its a 32-bit or 64-bit platform.  This project allows the user to enter to and analyze data from a Microsoft Access 2007 database.  What I'm reading in the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles always end with Access 2003 and Vista.  There is a beta approach, but it addresses MS Access 2010.  Does anyone know if that beta solution will work with Windows 7 in either platform and MS Access 2007?

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:23 PM