Update a driver when windows XP won't boot. RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all,

I mirrored an old hardrive to a new one as part of a machine replacement, but didn't take into account that I was moving from an IDE drive to a SATA drive.  Now my new system will not boot due to XP not having the correct driver for the SATA controller.  

Is there a way to go in using a boot disk, pre install environment, or some any such and put the driver in so this new system will boot?

Thank you.  

Sunday, May 13, 2012 3:38 PM

Answers

• You can try to do a Repair Install with the XP boot CD.  You do not select the Repair option the first time it is on the screen, but proceed through the setup screens untill almost the end and select Repair Installation at that point.  Be sure to have your SATA drivers on a floppy disk and provide the driver when prompted.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Marcus676 Friday, June 1, 2012 10:28 PM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:01 PM

All replies

• You can try to do a Repair Install with the XP boot CD.  You do not select the Repair option the first time it is on the screen, but proceed through the setup screens untill almost the end and select Repair Installation at that point.  Be sure to have your SATA drivers on a floppy disk and provide the driver when prompted.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Marcus676 Friday, June 1, 2012 10:28 PM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:01 PM
  • I will give that a shot and report back, thank you.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:12 AM
  • I was able to do a repair install from the disk that copy of XP came off of, however it didn't quite resolve the issue.

The windows logo does appear now with the little loading scroll, however it then displays a BSOD with Stop error 0x0000007B

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:20 AM
  • If you can't fix the problem with information found in the KB @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103 you will have to do a clean install of Windows XP.  None of the editions of Windows cope well with changing the motherboard unless the two motherboards have almost identical components.  Motherboards with significantly different components are always a problem.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:48 AM
  • It's been a busy month but I wanted to get back and mark this as the answer.  It seems it DID in fact get everything working and the clone is now operating quite well.  

Thank you again.  

Friday, June 1, 2012 10:29 PM