none
I can't run SSTP service with Windows 10. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft Community,

At first, I would like to notice, that this message was copied from a different post of mine, where I was asked to post it here. 

After many hours I have spent today, trying to resolve this problem on my own, I have to say: I have failed. Microsoft, I need help.

Everything started with a simple try to connect to the VPN server through IKEv2 protocol. Like you probably guessed, It didn't go as I planned. After short research, I have figured out, that my service Remote Access Connection Manager can't start to run (Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start).

Afterwards I have checked the Event Viewer, to get some details. The message was quite straightforward: The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service service which failed to start because of the following error: 

The operation completed successfully.

No SSTP, then let's turn it on. Easy right? Well not exactly. The SSTP Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

That's the moment when you say, "Alright google, show me what you can!". Well, google couldn't. 

I did try various of solutions, but non of them worked. My tries included:

• sfc /scannow
    • Remove my antivirus
    • Disable TinyWall service
    • Disable Windows Firewall
    • Uninstall network adapter drivers, and reboot windows
    • Update BIOS system
    • Try to make both SSTP and RACM as manual startup in services.msc.
    • Turn on before following services: Application Layer Gateway**** DHCP Client and Windows Event Log (Interesting fact, all of them turned on without any problem, even Remote Access Auto Connection Manager).
    • Disable and Enable Windows Event Log
    • Editing RasMan Registry Dependency - removing SstpSvc from it.
    • netsh winsock reset catalog
    • net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice & /add localservice
    • Ownership changes in System32/Logfiles/WIM
    • Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in WINS options in TCP/IPv4 properties of the network adapter. 
    • Thousand of reboots. 
    • Other I have forgot already. 

Some technical Info:

Windows 10 Pro N x64, Build 17763. Asus N551JM. 2 Months ago I have made a clean restart of Windows (Windows Update problems). 

Please Help. I am open to any ideas. If you need any details, logs, just write it. Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Do you want to set a SSTP VPN connection on windows 10?

Please check whether the following link is helpful:

https://my.ibvpn.com/knowledgebase/265/Set-up-the-SSTP-VPN-connection-on-Windows-10.html

Hope it could help.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

unfortunately it always fail because, Windows can't activate Remote Access Connection Manager Service, because it can't activate Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service.

Thanks in advance for the further help.  

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

How many network adapters in your device?

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Hey,

Sorry, I was out of the Office. 3-  I have a regular wi-fi & bluetooth adapter, Ethernet adapter, and external bluetooth + wifi adapter (for a mouse). 

Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please try to disable another two adapters and just use Ethernet adapter and have a try. Check whether the issue still exist.

Best Regards,

Eric

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for the reply. 

I have tried to disable it, but didn't help. Then I completely uninstalled that external wifi+bluetooth adapter. Didn't help. Then I removed my second firewall - Tinywall (before I was disabling it)- didn't help as well.

I have also noticed one thing. While service SSTP (or RACM) was trying to run, the WAN miniport adapter was appearing in device manager. The moment the service was failing to connect, the adapter was disappearing. 

I tried to attach some screens, but I am "not verified". 

• Edited by Mr MPe Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:07 PM typoo
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have found some information about this issue. 

They all mentioned event viewer.

Please check whether the following link is helpful:

1. https://superuser.com/questions/360401/vpn-issue-sstp-service-service-started-and-then-stopped

2. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/cannot-start-the-sstp-service/5a5341d9-e49e-49a9-8bda-80901831b683

Hope it could help.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Eric

Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

Once again thanks for an answer. 

Unfortunately my Event Viewer Service works just fine, and I can't delete that folder RTBackup no matter how. It's always information that the process is in use. Both in safe mode and in cmd console mode. But it never informs which process is using.

I have tried the second solution before, and it didn't work.

Thanks in advice for an answer. 

Regards

Marcin

Saturday, February 16, 2019 7:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you tried to use another account to do this?

Best Regards,

Eric

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Eric

Thursday, February 21, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Hello,

sorry I had holidays. I have just created the new account - JohnyTester, and.... same problem, same messages in Event Viewer. 

Friday, March 1, 2019 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you try to use another PC to do a test?  It is better to use a new installed windows 10 to do the test.

Best Regards,

Eric

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 6:58 AM
  • Hi Eric,

yes it does work on the other computer. I believe you know that service, and you need it every time you want to use a VPN. So everyone who can use VPN, (especially through ikev2 protocol), also have this SSTP service running correctly. 

But I can't install new Windows again, as I did 1-2 months ago through "Reset this PC" function, and I spent the next 2-3 days, to install all the software, and bring everything back to work. 

Thursday, March 7, 2019 2:39 AM
  • Hello again,

Can someone competent, write me the possible reasons why that service doesn't work? 

List of all dependences would be a good start for me. Putting that more simply, all the requirements which SSTP service needs to be running. 

Thanks in advance

M.  

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:54 PM
  • How do you setup a SSTP VPN connection using only the built-in VPN server and client? No outside VPN clients?

TIA

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:56 PM
  • Basically first I tried to use Windscribe through ikev2 - didn't work, some error. Then I tried to use a build in client. Didn't workm, some error. Then i start to Google. And I discovered that Remote Access manager service doesn't work. I checked the event viewer, and I saw that that service can't run because Secure Socket Tunneling protocol can't be activated. 
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 10:22 PM
  • Hello guys, 

Though I didn't receive much help here, I would like to share what fixed my problem. Maybe in the future someone will use it. 

At first I disabled SSTP and Remote Access Connection Manager services. Then I went to Device Manager. View -> Show hidden devices. I went to Network adapters and removed all WAN Miniports (IKEv2, IP ... and so on), and other network adapters which were not in normal use. Then I scanned for hardware changes. Nothing new appeared. I rebooted my PC. I Went back to services and successfully activated first SSTP and then RACM services. Violà - works! 

Anyway, thanks for an effort to try to help me :) 

Regards! 

• Proposed as answer by iacoarge Monday, June 17, 2019 8:09 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 7:29 PM
  • Hello guys, 

Though I didn't receive much help here, I would like to share what fixed my problem. Maybe in the future someone will use it. 

At first I disabled SSTP and Remote Access Connection Manager services. Then I went to Device Manager. View -> Show hidden devices. I went to Network adapters and removed all WAN Miniports (IKEv2, IP ... and so on), and other network adapters which were not in normal use. Then I scanned for hardware changes. Nothing new appeared. I rebooted my PC. I Went back to services and successfully activated first SSTP and then RACM services. Violà - works! 

Anyway, thanks for an effort to try to help me :) 

Regards! 

Hi Mr MPe,

I'm from the future ;) and I am really really grateful for your answer, as it has totally saved my day.

Did not even need to reboot between removal of the WAN devices and the start of those %@^*# services.

Microsoft might want to add this to their Technet KB though.

Cheers!

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 1:35 PM
  • In general, the problem is old. Now I ran into Windows 10. I decided on my own. Because I did not find useful tips on the Internet. It is solved very simply.

• Go to the "Device Manager"
    • View-> show hidden devices
    • Go to the Network Adapters and remove the WAN Miniport device (SSTP)
    • We start service SSTP Service
    • Reboot PC

Bingo!
    Maybe someone else will come in handy.

• Edited by Andaletru Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:59 PM
    Saturday, July 20, 2019 3:54 PM