none
How does Controlled Folder Access determine what to ad to the white-list? RRS feed

• Question

• As above, how does controlled folder access in Windows 10 (fall update) determine what programs to add by default to the white-list?
    • Edited by qsdfrt Monday, October 23, 2017 1:37 AM question change
    Monday, October 23, 2017 1:34 AM

All replies

• It doesn't seem ANY apps are automatically added to the whitelist :/

I've tried Wordpad and Notepad and they both fail. This runs counter to CFA stating "Most of your apps will be allowed by controlled folder access.. Apps determined by MS as friendly are always allowed"

• Edited by qsdfrt Monday, October 23, 2017 3:12 AM Chane to entry
    Monday, October 23, 2017 3:10 AM
  • >>It doesn't seem ANY apps are automatically added to the whitelist

Exactly, you are right.

No programs will be added into whitelist automatically.

“Most of your apps will be allowed by Controlled folder access without adding them here. Apps determined by Microsoft as friendly are always allowed”

This sentence just telling us that most of friendly apps don’t need to be added in whitelist, they will be allowed by default when you enable Controlled folder access. But we can’t get the list of allowable apps, this list should be stored in Microsoft data library, something like SmartScreen Filter list.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:07 AM
  • Yes, but surely something is wrong if notepad and wordpad aren't working! MS office 2016 isn't working either!

Are you seriously saying MS doesn't trust it's own software? CFA is buggy. I really want to use it but it's a mess right now :(

• Edited by qsdfrt Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:51 AM reply change
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:31 AM
  • I enabled Controlled Folder Access and Notepad and Wordpad work fine.

I don’t add them into allowed app whitelist, write down something in notepad and save, normal, open .xml, .html or .bat files by notepad, also normal. What do you mean that notepad and wordpad aren't working? Can’t open them? Crashed when you were using?

I believe that MS trust their products, same as you, I’d like to try new features, Controlled folder access is a new stuff to protect our data.

PS: After upgrade to a new system, there is a possibility that programs and user profiles broken down, try to reinstall Office 2016 and create a new account for test.

I have one machine which upgraded to 1709 from 1703, Start menu and search box are completely no responding, I need to do anything by task manager, finally I reset it, all problems disappear, maybe can give you a hint

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

Notepad, Wordpad wouldn't allow access to the protected directories. It must be a random fault. Check out windows feedback hub ,there are plenty of ppl there with the same or similar faults as me.

Cheers

Friday, October 27, 2017 7:03 AM
  • Ok, I am going to submit this case to Microsoft, since it is a random issue, it's not strange that I didn't reproduce your scenario, let's wait for update

Friday, October 27, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thank-you for that. Was what I was hoping for when I posted.

Cheers!

Friday, October 27, 2017 8:40 AM
  • I should add, *none* of the apps i have installed worked with CFA.

Thanks

Friday, October 27, 2017 9:21 AM
  • You are welcome, it is always my pleasure to help you.

Please mark some replys to close this case

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Hi,

I will mark the case closed when the bug is fixed! Hopefully it won't be too long ;)

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:47 AM