none
Hyper-V Replication Server 2016 Std to Server 2019 Std RRS feed

• Question

• Does Hyper-V replication work between Serer 2016 Standard (GUI) and Server 2019 Standard (GUI)? If I have two hosts, one running Server 2016 Standard and the other running Server 2019 standard, the Server 2016 std host has a guest Svr 2016 std (GUI) VM, and the host Server 2019 std has a guest VM running svr 2019 std (GUI), can I use Hyper-V replication to replicate the VMs between these two servers? Will the replicated Svr 2016 std VM spin up on the Svr 2019 std host and will the replicated Svr 2019 VM spin up on the Svr 2016 Host?    

Monday, April 1, 2019 9:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

We don't have to have the same version of Hyper-V Host, but we recommend that they be the same version.

I believe Hyper-V replication works from Windows Server 2016 to Windows Server 2019, but the VM configuration version would have to be the same version.

If they're not the same versions then there might be some features that are unsupported.

The following is the version supported by each Windows Server:

As far as I'm concerned, we just need to ensure the VM's configuration version is supported on the Secondary server, and the failover could work well, then it is OK.

Have a look at the link below for different VM feature configuration requirements:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/upgrade-virtual-machine-version-in-hyper-v-on-windows-or-windows-server#what-happens-if-i-dont-upgrade-the-virtual-machine-configuration-version--

For more information about Hyper-V Replica, please visit:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/set-up-hyper-v-replica

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2013/04/07/step-by-step-virtual-machine-replication-using-hyper-v-replica/

Hope this information can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DevStaffer Tuesday, April 2, 2019 5:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 3:06 AM
  • Daniel:

Yes, this was very helpful information and explains why we have one way VM replication between Svr12R2 and Svr16. It also implies that VM replication would be one way between svr16 and svr19.

So, I have a few more questions. 

If my VM is created on a host Svr12R2 and is version 5.0 and I export it to svr 16 or 19 it will work. I know this because I create Svr12R2, Svr16 and Svr19 VMs on my Svr12R2 host and export them to other servers running the matching host OS. This is also confirmed in your chart. As long as the version # does not change to something above 5.0 I should be able to replicate and spin up that ver. 5.0 on 12R2, 16 or 19 regardless of the guest OS type. I should also be able replicate them from 12R2 to 16 or 19 and from 19 back down to 12R2 as long as the version # stays 5.0. At any point will the host OS auto upgrade the version number to something higher than 5.0 during the import, replication or spin up process? What I am asking is, if I have a Version 5.0 Svr16 guest OS that I created on a 12R2 host and export it to a Svr16 host, does the new host OS alter the VM version # during import, replication or spin up?

Yes I realize that if I create a "new" Svr16 or Svr19 VM on a Svr16 or 19 Host the version # will be higher respectively and then I run into issues with replication. This begs my 2nd question. Can I force a lower version number at the time of creation? So, if I create a Hyper-V VM on a Server 2019 host, could I tell/force Hyper-V to create it at version 8.0 instead of 9.0? Or could I tell Svr 16 (1809) it to create at version 5.0 instead of 8.3? 

I very much appreciate your time and insight.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 1:27 PM
  • If you are importing a VM to a newer version of OS, the version number will not be automatically upgraded. If you want to create a version 5.0 VM on a newer OS you will need to use PowerShell with the parameter -Version

new-vm -VMName TestVM -Version 5.0

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by DevStaffer Tuesday, April 2, 2019 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 5:03 PM
  • Excellent. OK , bonus question - can you downgrade the version number from 9.0 to 5.0 after the VM is created?
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 5:10 PM
  • It is not supported, but you could potentially create a new VM with lower version and add existing vhdx files. I have tried it couple of times in a test lab and it worked, but I would recommend using it in production.

Also I would recommend using replication between same OS versions if possible. Personally I had few issues replicating from 2016 -> 2012 R2 (if you are planning to replicate to an older OS). As far as I know replicating from older to newer OS version shouldn't be a problem, with the same configuration version as already mention. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 5:21 PM
  • I figured lowering a Version # on an already created VM would not fly since the a lower # would not match the features of the VM. The solution we are trying to find is replicating to and from a newer host OS to an older host OS. I am running on the theory that as long as the VM version # is maintained in the replication process and stays at or below a common version number between the two Host OS's during replication and spin up of the respective VM it should work between a newer and older host OS.

Plus this has opened the door to Power Shell VM creation scripting for field applications. Something I have not really thought about up until now.

I plan on doing some testing in this regard and will post my results here. It may be a few days.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 5:46 PM
  • OK, You are always welcome.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 1:40 AM