Error 0x80242006 on Windows 10 machines with 1709 installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We're having problems installing updates after machines are on 1709. As soon as the update is done, some updates (seems like the monthly Windows 10 updates like KB4054022 and KB4054517) don't want to install with error 0x80242006.

I already found a solution and that's renaming the Software distribution folder and restarting the update Service and that has worked for every machine until now, but that's only a workaround, not a solution. We have about 100 Windows 10 machines, so I don't like this solution....

At first I thought this would only be a problem for machines that were upgraded from older versions, but it also happens on brand new Windows 10 PC's. Those PC's are connected to the domain and as soon as they start downloading and installing the 1709 update, this happens...

I have seen many IT guys complaining about this already, but apart from creating a GPO which runs a script at startup so the Software distribution folder is recreated (also works on our end), I have not seen a good solution.

Does someone know how to fix this for good?

We have a WSUS Server running on Server 2012 R2....

The script we're running is this by the way :

md c:\RenameSoftwareDistribution
    net stop wuauserv >c:\RenameSoftwareDistribution\RenameLog.txt
    net stop bits >>c:\RenameSoftwareDistribution\RenameLog.txt
    rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak >>c:\RenameSoftwareDistribution\RenameLog.txt
    net start bits >>c:\RenameSoftwareDistribution\RenameLog.txt
    net start wuauserv >>c:\RenameSoftwareDistribution\RenameLog.txt

Kind regards, Erik

Friday, December 22, 2017 10:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>I have seen many IT guys complaining about this already, but apart from creating a GPO which runs a script at startup so the Software distribution folder is recreated (also works on our end), I have not seen a good solution.

AFAIK , the script is the only solution I have seen .

What I have found is that there was a same error can be fixed by disable defender (I haven't tested it before , you can give it a try):

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-windows-10-insider-14986-update-error-0x80242006/

Any further information please feel free to let us know .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Elton_Ji Monday, December 25, 2017 6:46 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Wednesday, January 10, 2018 4:06 PM
    Monday, December 25, 2017 6:45 AM