Restore Points Deleted RRS feed

• Question

• HI!

Well... I managed to do this...

Just some time ago, I went to my System Restore, just to check how my Restore Points are doing.

My Restore Points were gone, except from one, which was automatically created for Microsoft Security Essentials some time ago. After reading a handful of the first Google results, I was able to find the relevant Event in the Event Viewer:

Source: volsnap | Event ID: 25

"The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied."

Now, unfortunately, I am pretty sure, that actually I cannot "magically" revive those restore points. That's because, I inspected on the System Protection tab, that the Current Usage for the C drive is just 1.66GB now. I am using for both my C and D drives, a generous, 46GB, for the 10% of those drives. The Restore Points in C, after reaching the Max Usage, were normally operating: The oldest Restore Points were deleted and new ones were created. In D drive I did not reach the Max Usage. So, in C drive, indeed the Restore Points were all deleted.

Nevermind all that, what I like to ask here, is this: How can I prevent a future deletion of my Restore Points, by ways of this Event 25 in Event Viewer? How do I reduce the IO load? I don't know if this is the reason why this happened, but I was indeed making a lot of File deletions, moving, overwriting in the last days. Is this why this happened? Or what is IO load and how to reduce it?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:59 PM

All replies

• Please review: System Restore points are deleted after you restart your Windows 7-based computer

Carey Frisch

Actually, that's the article where I found out about the relevant event in the Event Viewer, with ID: 25.

Other than that, I am afraid that it is of not much help. This article is more or less, targeted to users who experience deletion of their restore points on every system reboot, or at least regularly...

Reboot the computer and create restore points and verify that restore points are not deleted over the next few days.

This doesn't seem to be the issue in my case. Of course, it might be too early to say so, as only 1 day has passed since the event occurred. But at least, until now, the System Restore facility seems to be operating normally again. First, just 3 hours after the event, Windows automatically created a Restore Point, due to a Microsoft Security Essentials definition update. Then, I manually created a Restore Point too. I have rebooted the system 4 times now, and the Restore Points are displayed normally in System Restore. Those 2 Restore Points are the only ones now, since all the others got deleted on the time of the event. I have performed a CHKDSK on both my drives with both options checked, and no problems were found, except some casual SID cleaning. I also issued the command:

sfc /scannow
    , which did not produce any errors. As said, in System Protection tab, I have not changed the Max Usage for Restore Points, for both my drives. Which is about 46GB.

So back to my original questions. Here is the event description for your reference:

The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

Questions:

1. Can you give some more details, about possible causes of this event?

2. What things and actions should I avoid, such that this event would not occur again in the future?

CHEERS

Friday, March 7, 2014 12:34 PM