none
How to access PWA site from another domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have set up a local domain named say 'localdomain', and have all the Servers (Sharepoint, Project Server, Report server) in this domain. I have a local Active directory as well. So now whenever user with permission to access the PWA site logs into a VM in this 'localdomain' and accesses the site. This is the local domain I am using for testing purposes. 

So i want the users to access this site from their normal day to day use PCs/Laptops instead of logging into the VMs in the 'localdomain'. But the users PCs/Laptops are in a different domain say 'companydomain'. 

So my question is:

Does the 'companydomain' has to have a trust relationship with the 'localdomain' to be able to access this site? Or i can just expose this site as public using alternate access mappings (which I have already done, but unable to access from the 'companydomain' PCs).

I just want this site to be opened in normal PCs/laptops, which prompts for the default credentials for the site, and the users will enter their respective local directory credentials into the PWA login and must be able to access the website with no issues. 

Please let me know is this possible. I have checked in net and found 'alternate access mapping' as a solution, but it is not helping me. So I got doubt about the trust relationship. Please guide me on this.

Thanks,

shanky

Friday, March 20, 2015 5:50 AM

Answers

• Hi shankyshan,

You would need to configure a DNS entry in the companydomain pointing to the IP address of the project server machine.

If your project server is accessed using projectserver.localdomain you also need to extend the web application to projectserver.companydomain (the DNS entry that has been configured) 

Paul

• Marked as answer by shankyshan Friday, April 10, 2015 9:08 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2015 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi shankyshan,

You would need to configure a DNS entry in the companydomain pointing to the IP address of the project server machine.

If your project server is accessed using projectserver.localdomain you also need to extend the web application to projectserver.companydomain (the DNS entry that has been configured) 

Paul

• Marked as answer by shankyshan Friday, April 10, 2015 9:08 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2015 10:46 AM
  • Hello Paul,

Configuring the DNS entry did the trick. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Shanky

Friday, April 10, 2015 9:08 AM