Alerts not working - e-mail works RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have the following Problem:

The e-mail alerts are not working. In the past, they worked without problems. I think my mistake was, that I have deleted a Group in the AD which was the owner of the sending mail address, but im not sure.

So as a next step, I have changed the outgoing e-mail address settings in the central administration. This was due anyway. The mailserver was not changed by the way.

At the moment I can do the following:

- Add a person to a site and send a welcome E-Mail working fine.
    - Add a new alert and then comes the Message: "You have successfully created an alert for 'Document Library xyz' "

But when I create a new alert to send immediately it is not working.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? The SMTP server is configured to allow anonymous access. (Remember: It was working last week with the same Exchange Server) 

My environment:

Single Server with Windows 2003 R2 SP2 (x64)
    SharePoint Services 3.0 Version 12.0.0.6539
    SQL Server 2005 Version 9.0.4305

- Alerts are enabled
    - Alerts are unlimited
    - and the "Job-immediate-alerts" Property is set to <Property Exist="Yes" Value="every 5 minutes between 0 and 59" />

Thank you for your help!

• Edited by r-f Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:35 PM Add Alert information
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:16 PM

Answers

• Go into Services in Control Panel, restart World Wide Web and SMTP and this would start the emailed flowing again.

You can also try iisreset from the start button.

Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by r-f Monday, February 14, 2011 4:42 PM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 6:00 AM

All replies

• Check if jobs are getting created every time now content is added to the library to which alerts are set.

You can also check the immed subscriptions table in the content DB to see if alerts are queued up.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Out of curiousity, does the account that you've added to receive the alert have at least read access to the item that you are creating the alert for?  If you add an alert prior to that person having access to the item, the alerts won't work.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:46 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description , you can take a look at this link, I suggest you should check it step by step:
    http://sharepoint-geek.com/2009/11/05/sharepoint-alerts-not-working
    I hope it can help you a little.

Best regards
    David Hu
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Go into Services in Control Panel, restart World Wide Web and SMTP and this would start the emailed flowing again.

Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by r-f Monday, February 14, 2011 4:42 PM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 6:00 AM
  • Thank you all for your suggestions!

I will try it today in the evening (Swiss Time).

Best Regards

fir

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:04 AM

I have just done a reboot of the server. Now it works fine! :-)

But I don't know what exactly was the cause of the problem :-(

Regards and thanks to all!

Monday, February 14, 2011 4:42 PM
  • SMTP just tends to get locked up some times... You can look at the iis root folder and in smtp if you see emails pending there 9 times out of 10 just hitting the service will fix it.... Thanks for the reply back!

Monday, February 14, 2011 4:49 PM