none
IE 10 Cannot have two separate InPrivate windows open with different Office 365 credentials RRS feed

• Question

• I support multiple Office 365 clients as a Microsoft Partner.  When using IE 10, If I open a second InPrivate window to control another client, the first InPrivate window forgets the initial credentials and assumes the logon in the second window.  Not very InPrivate if you ask me!  

Shouldn't each InPrivate window be sandboxed from the others?  What do I need to do to fix this?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:58 PM

Answers

• The command line options -private -noframemerging does indeed create a unique InPrivate window.  

After more searching, I found the correct registry key to force the NoFrameMerge all the time.

Registry key 
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FrameMerging 
    0 - disable frame merging

With this set, Ctrl-Shift-P will always create a new InPrivate window that does not share credentials with any other.  

• Marked as answer by John Friel Friday, April 26, 2013 1:43 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

iexplore.exe [ [ -embedding ]
                   [ -extoff ]
                   [ -framemerging ]
                   [ -k ]
                   [ -noframemerging ]
                   [ -nohangrecovery ]
                   [ -private ] ]
                 [ URL ]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee330728(v=VS.85).aspx

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by tracycaiModerator Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by John Friel Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:05 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:08 AM
  • I removed the "Mark as answer" because IECUSTOMIZER just regurgitated the command line options to IE.  That was no help at all.  (if you want points, you would have demonstrated how to invoke InPrivate so it actually worked)

My issue is that when I open a new InPrivate window vial Ctrl-Alt-P, it should *already* be sandboxed and completely isolated from all other IE windows running, and that is not the case.  What is the point of opening an InPrivate windows if it isn't "InPrivate"?

John

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:10 AM
  •  What is the point of opening an InPrivate windows if it isn't "InPrivate"?

Probably for the same reason that Ctrl-N produces a different command-line than  Alt-F,I.

So what happens if you use  Alt-F,I when starting from an InPrivate Browsing session?...

It looks like it is another Private window.   What does its command line look like?...

Powershell method of checking (or use Task Manager):

Get-WmiObject Win32_Process | where-object  {$_.CommandLine  -match "iexplore" } | ft ProcessId, CommandLine  -AutoSize

Different?  What you would expect?   Who knew?

So, it looks like the hint that IECustomizer gave for what to use or look for was correct.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:30 PM
    Answerer
  • The command line options -private -noframemerging does indeed create a unique InPrivate window.  

After more searching, I found the correct registry key to force the NoFrameMerge all the time.

Registry key 
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FrameMerging 
    0 - disable frame merging

With this set, Ctrl-Shift-P will always create a new InPrivate window that does not share credentials with any other.  

• Marked as answer by John Friel Friday, April 26, 2013 1:43 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 1:42 PM