SCCM 2012 client install fails on some PCs. not all. "Windows Installer Has Stopped Working" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm upgrading to SCCM2012, and most of my clients have upgraded correctly. However I have alot of clients failing to install the new Config manager client.

CCMSetup.log:

Failed to get client version for sending messages to FSP. Error 0x8004100e ccmsetup 3/8/2013 2:50:06 PM 5256 (0x1488)
    Failed with error code 0x80070648. ccmsetup 3/8/2013 2:50:10 PM 5256 (0x1488)
    CheckProductInstalled - MSI product code {2609EDF1-34C4-4B03-B634-55F3B3BC4931} received unexpected return value: 1608 ccmsetup 3/8/2013 2:50:10 PM 5256 (0x1488)
    MSI: Action 14:50:13: CcmRegisterEndpointRollback. In the event of a failed installation, this action rolls back the changes from CcmRegisterEndpoint. ccmsetup 3/8/2013 2:50:13 PM 5256 (0x1488)
    MSI: Action 14:50:15: CcmRegisterComponentsRollback. In the event of a failed installation, this action rolls back the changes from CcmRegisterComponents. ccmsetup 3/8/2013 2:50:15 PM 5256 (0x1488)
    File C:\Windows\ccmsetup\{59A0EA77-D28C-4286-83A6-04BB57B9CDD6}\client.msi installation failed. Error text: ExitCode: 1603
    Action:
    ErrorMessages:
     ccmsetup 3/8/2013 2:50:16 PM 5256 (0x1488)
    InstallFromManifest failed 0x80004004 ccmsetup 3/8/2013 3:01:31 PM 5256 (0x1488)
    CcmSetup failed with error code 0x80004004 ccmsetup 3/8/2013 3:01:31 PM 6088 (0x17C8)
    Failed to get client version for sending messages to FSP. Error 0x8004100e ccmsetup 3/8/2013 3:01:38 PM 4972 (0x136C)
    MSI: Action 15:01:47: CcmRegisterComponentsRollback. In the event of a failed installation, this action rolls back the changes from CcmRegisterComponents. ccmsetup 3/8/2013 3:01:47 PM 4972 (0x136C)
    File C:\Windows\ccmsetup\{59A0EA77-D28C-4286-83A6-04BB57B9CDD6}\client.msi installation failed. Error text: ExitCode: 1603
    Action:
    ErrorMessages:
     ccmsetup 3/8/2013 3:01:48 PM 4972 (0x136C)

Client.MSI.log:

[15:01:46] Skipping object FIL:C:\Windows\CCM\smserrors.dll. Permissions 'D:' were blank.
    [15:01:47] Failed to find current cache location
    CTR:MessagesFailed,164,165,65792,novice,0
    CTR:MessagesFailed,164,165,65792,novice,0
    CustomAction CcmMigratePolicySettingsInit returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Property(S): ErrorDialog = ErrorDialog
    C:\Windows\CCM\ccmerrors.dll
    C:\Windows\CCM\smserrors.dll
    Property(S): WelcomeDialog_DesktopWarning = WARNING: A previous version of the ConfigMgr client agent is already installed on this computer.  Continuing will cause the previous version of the ConfigMgr client agent to be removed.
    Property(S): WelcomeDialog_EULA = The software you are about to install is provided as part of Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager and as such, is subject to the End User License Agreement already accepted by your system administrator. Contact your system administrator for additional information.
    Property(S): ConfigDialog_Title = Configuration
    Property(S): ConfigDialog_SubTitle = Select installation options
    Property(S): ConfigDialog_Info = Enter configuration options for the Configuration Manager Client.
    Property(S): ConfigDialog_SiteCode = SMS Site:
    Property(S): ConfigDialog_InvalidSiteCode = The site code you have entered is not valid
    Property(S): InstallDialog_Title = Install
    Property(S): InstallDialog_SubTitle = The product is now ready to install
    Property(S): InstallDialog_Info = Click Next to proceed.
    Property(S): InstallDialog_Warning = WARNING: Installing the advanced client on this computer may cause the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) and Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) services to stop and restart.
    Property(S): ProgressDialog_Title = Please Wait
    Property(S): ProgressDialog_SubTitle = Setup is configuring your system.
    Property(S): CompleteDialog_Title = Setup Complete
    Property(S): CompleteDialog_SubTitle = Setup has finished updating your system.
    Property(S): CompleteDialog_Info = The Configuration Manager Client setup was successful.
    Property(S): UserExitDialog_Title = Setup Aborted
    Property(S): UserExitDialog_SubTitle = Setup was cancelled
    Property(S): UserExitDialog_Info = The Configuration Manager Client setup was cancelled.
    Property(S): InstallErrorDialog_Title = Setup Aborted
    Property(S): InstallErrorDialog_SubTitle = Setup failed
    Property(S): InstallErrorDialog_Info = Setup encountered an error and could not continue.
    MSI (s) (30:C0) [15:01:48:344]: Product: Configuration Manager Client -- Installation operation failed.
    MSI (s) (30:C0) [15:01:48:344]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Configuration Manager Client. Product Version: 5.00.7804.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

Some users are also getting this popup "Windows Installer Has stopped Working"

sccm 2012 client install error

Link to the log files.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Y0wC0wv0GDWmdSYVcyV21LM2M/edit?usp=sharing

, Kristofer Olafsson

Edit:

I should add that the errors happen no matter the install method, Push, Manual and SUP.

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:11 PM

All replies

• For the 1603, see this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/08/01/446328.aspx

For the crashes, you'll need to look in the log some more including the Windows event logs for more info.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:17 PM
  • For the 1603, see this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/08/01/446328.aspx

For the crashes, you'll need to look in the log some more including the Windows event logs for more info.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

I set those values in the Registry but it didn't appear to turn on msi verbose logging. It never generated a msi*.log file in my temp folder. These were the steps I followed from the link following the link you provided.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/03/29/403575.aspx

1. If you are running Windows XP or older:  Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
    2. If you are running Windows Vista or newer:  Click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then right-click on the item named Command prompt and choose Run as administrator
    3. Copy this command into the cmd prompt and press enter to run it:  reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v Debug /t REG_DWORD /d 7 /f 
    4. Copy this command into the cmd prompt and press enter to run it:  reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v Logging /t REG_SZ /d voicewarmupx! /f
    5. Re-run the setup and let it fail one more time
    6. Go to your temporary folder (go to the Start menu, choose Run, and type %temp%)
    7. Locate a file named msi*.log (where * is a randomly generated set of letters and numbers)
    8. Zip the msi*.log file (because it tends to be very large but since it is text it compresses nicely)
    9. Run this command in the cmd prompt:  reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v Debug /f
    10. Run this command in the cmd prompt:  reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v Logging /

For the Windows errors they don't seem to be much of a help either

Faulting application name: MsiExec.exe, version: 5.0.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce79d93

Faulting module name: MSIA6C2.tmp, version: 5.0.7804.1000, time stamp: 0x50add7b2

Exception code: 0xc0000417

Fault offset: 0x0000000000027440

Faulting process id: 0x1504

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce1b5a759deaf8

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\MsiExec.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIA6C2.tmp

Report Id: b60863db-874d-11e2-bf1a-d067e501fd0d

, Kristofer Olafsson

Saturday, March 9, 2013 1:23 AM
  • you'll find the client.msi log in the ccmsetup folder, search for return value 3 and it'll have more info.

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG | File CM12 Feedback | CM12 Docs | CM12 Release Notes

Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:25 PM
  • you'll find the client.msi log in the ccmsetup folder, search for return value 3 and it'll have more info.

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG | File CM12 Feedback | CM12 Docs | CM12 Release Notes

Already posted the that log output in my question, and included a link to them in a zip file... It doesn't seem to me to carry the information on why it's failing. maybe I'm missing it.

, Kristofer Olafsson

Sunday, March 10, 2013 3:32 AM
  • Looking at the logs, the failure occurred in the step CcmMigratePolicySettingsInit. This step attempts to preserve certain policy objects from a previously installed client, but ccmsetup.log states no client is detected as being installed. This makes me wonder if there was a previously installed client that was not properly removed.

Could you try deleting the root\ccm namespace from WMI and then trying again?

For the msiexec crashes, do you have any dump files you can provide?

Monday, March 11, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Looking at the logs, the failure occurred in the step CcmMigratePolicySettingsInit. This step attempts to preserve certain policy objects from a previously installed client, but ccmsetup.log states no client is detected as being installed. This makes me wonder if there was a previously installed client that was not properly removed.

Could you try deleting the root\ccm namespace from WMI and then trying again?

For the msiexec crashes, do you have any dump files you can provide?

Thanks, So I tried a few things. Using Roger Zanders SCCM Client Center tool I frist tried to Repair WMI, tried an install, Fail again. Then Delete Root\ccm and that didn't work either. Then Recreate Repository and that didn't work...

Attached is a link to the dump file for on of my client pcs.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Y0wC0wv0GDRGw3ZmhXV3ZxVUU/edit?usp=sharing

, Kristofer Olafsson

Monday, March 11, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Am I correct in my assumption that the crash issue and the CcmMigratePolicySettingsInit issue are two separate things?

Thanks for posting the crash dump. I've identified where the crash is occurring but I'm not quite sure why at this time. Do you have logs for those crashing clients?

Unfortunately for the CcmMigratePolicySettingsInit issue I'm a bit mystified as to what's happening. You may need to contact CSS for deeper troubleshooting.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Am I correct in my assumption that the crash issue and the CcmMigratePolicySettingsInit issue are two separate things?

Thanks for posting the crash dump. I've identified where the crash is occurring but I'm not quite sure why at this time. Do you have logs for those crashing clients?

Unfortunately for the CcmMigratePolicySettingsInit issue I'm a bit mystified as to what's happening. You may need to contact CSS for deeper troubleshooting.

Thanks for all the help, I've found a way to work around the issue using the old 2003 toolkit ccmclean, I know it's not recomended but it works, maybe they will release a new version of it.  But here is the full CCM logs and windows minidumps so you can get a good idea on whats happening. It looks like the previous version is failing to uninstall. This is an interesting error in the uninstall log: [8:39:31] WARNING: Upgrade Code [{252DA259-82CA-4177-B8D0-49C78937BA3E}] is not a recognized upgrade code.  Then later on it complains about the Management point being on a differnt version. kind of strange, maybe some SCCM team members want to poke through and review it. I'll keep it shared for a little while.  

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Y0wC0wv0GDVEJoWXpOeDJubFU/edit?usp=sharing

what I ended up doing is a batch file with the runs ccmclean and then ccm2012 client. What I want to do is make a vbs start up script that looks for SMS 2007 and runs the ccmclean. but I haven't figured out how to detect sms2007 yet, but I haven't spent much time on it.

\Microsoft_SMS_ToolKit_2003\ccmclean.exe /all /removehistory /q
    \SCCM2012\Client\ccmsetup.exe

, Kristofer Olafsson

This is a Client that was receiving the Windows Insteller errors, and CCM 2012 would not install.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:20 PM

Thanks for all the help, I've found a way to work around the issue using the old 2003 toolkit ccmclean, I know it's not recomended but it works, maybe they will release a new version of it.  But here is the full CCM logs and windows minidumps so you can get a good idea on whats happening. It looks like the previous version is failing to uninstall. This is an interesting error in the uninstall log: [8:39:31] WARNING: Upgrade Code [{252DA259-82CA-4177-B8D0-49C78937BA3E}] is not a recognized upgrade code.  Then later on it complains about the Management point being on a differnt version. kind of strange, maybe some SCCM team members want to poke through and review it. I'll keep it shared for a little while.  

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Y0wC0wv0GDVEJoWXpOeDJubFU/edit?usp=sharing

what I ended up doing is a batch file with the runs ccmclean and then ccm2012 client. What I want to do is make a vbs start up script that looks for SMS 2007 and runs the ccmclean. but I haven't figured out how to detect sms2007 yet, but I haven't spent much time on it.

\Microsoft_SMS_ToolKit_2003\ccmclean.exe /all /removehistory /q
    \SCCM2012\Client\ccmsetup.exe

, Kristofer Olafsson

This is a Client that was receiving the Windows Insteller errors, and CCM 2012 would not install.

I'd guess that CCMCLEAN has nuked the related WMI namespaces ... CcmMigratePolicySettingsInit has come up before (I see a thread dating back to 2009 related to this subject).

Friday, March 15, 2013 10:58 AM