none
Deployed Win10 Pro to Surface Pro 4 - Surface Pro now doesnt think its a Surface Pro! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I've managed to deploy windows 10 to a surface pro however I have two issues, the first none of the drivers that are in MDT were installed.  The second issue is that it now doesnt think its a surface pro - I noticed this when I tried to install the drivers manually using .msi files downloaded from the Microsoft website (for surface pro drivers).  When I run the .msi file it throws a message saying this device is not a surface pro and doesn't install the drivers.  I then downloaded the zip files from the same Microsoft website and went through each device in device manager and pointed it at the extracted drivers and this allowed me to install the drivers and get the surface pro up and running.

I have seen lots of posts on how to fix the first issue which I am not too worried about but the second issue I am concerned about as I am not sure on the implications this may have, has anyone come across this?

Thanks!

Dan

Thursday, November 9, 2017 4:52 PM

All replies

• Are you using Johan‘s Total Control driver management approach to install drivers? When you run wmic csproduct get vendor,version from an elevated command prompt, what does the output look like? Alternatively, take a look into your BDD.log and search for Make and Model variables....

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, November 9, 2017 5:59 PM
  • Since you already attempted to image it, what I'd suggest is looking at your BDD.log file to see what the Make and Model was returned. Then make sure your driver folder structure matches that (assuming you're using the total control method for driver management). 

It's possible if this is a new Surface that it's not the SP4 but in fact the "new" Surface Pro. If that' the case the model name is back to "Surface Pro" no numbers.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:16 PM
  • Hi guys

Yes I am going for the total control driver method.  Before the image we checked the make/model using the command and it was 'Microsoft Corporation' and 'Surface Pro', I have checked the bdd.log and it says exactly the same.  Its a 'surface pro'.

Thanks!

Dan

Friday, November 10, 2017 10:09 AM
  • So, I am still a bit fuzzy on the details: is it a Surface Pro (e.g. current model, as Dan mentioned above), or its older sibling released a couple of years ago?

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, November 10, 2017 12:31 PM
  • It would be a little easier to try and figure out if we could look at the bdd.log to see what MDT is doing.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, November 10, 2017 2:15 PM
  • +1

IT's entirely possible that the Surface firmware has been corrupted and is no longer reporting the correct Make/Model.

IF you are still having problems, please copy your bdd.log file to a public site like onedrive and share the link.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:16 AM