Duplicate workflow instances for all New Incidents submitted by email RRS feed

• Question

• a strange one, this.

I have a workflow which runs for every new Incident, which sends an email notification to the affected user.

whenever an incident is submitted by email, the workflow runs multiple times for that incident. (at least twice, sometimes up to 5 times)

the workflow logs shows duplicate instances for each new incident, with identical start/finish times and duration:

the affected user receives a notification email for each duplicate of the workflow instance (so up to 5 notifications in some cases).

The incident itself isn't duplicated, just the workflow instances acting on it.

I am using the Exchange Connector to receive incidents via email, which runs every 5 minutes. I've monitored the inbox to make sure emails are cleared within that 5 minute window, so thats not the problem. (if that were the issue, the incidents would be duplicated, not the workflow instance)

There's also no duplicate workflow instances for incidents submitted via portal, so it seems to only affect email incidents.

what on earth is going on?

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I was having same problem. My mistake was in Rule definition in managementpack

<Rule ID="My.Rule" Enabled="true" Target="SC!Microsoft.SystemCenter.WorkflowTarget">

Here Target attribute is incorrect, you need to declare your own classtype that inherits Microsoft.SystemCenter.WorkflowTarget class for example:

<ClassType ID="My.Rule.Class" Base="SC!Microsoft.SystemCenter.WorkflowTarget" Singleton="true" Hosted="false" Abstract="false" Accessibility="Public" />

and then point your rule's target to this new class

<Rule ID="My.Rule" Enabled="true" Target="My.Rule.Class">

This was my case, it helped. Hope this will help you too.

Best regards.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:13 AM

All replies

• Perhaps you have something that is triggering a duplicate workflow, or something that is causing a loop. I would check the workflows and perhaps check the source, maybe you have a workflow where the source is not specified, so it is triggering the original and another workflow where a source is specified.
    As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 5:43 AM
  • the only criteria i have in my new incidents workflow is incident source does not equal Operations Manager.

I've removed this from the criteria, will report back with any results

Friday, January 6, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Which version/build of SCSM 2010 are you running? There was a bugfix in one of the Cumulative Updates for multiple notifications.
    Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Friday, January 6, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Hi Anders. It's version 7.0.6555.0
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:11 PM
  • That's SCSM 2010 SP1. Maybe you should update to the latest version of SCSM 2010 which is SCSM 2010 SP1 CU3:

Cumulative Update 3 for System Center Service Manager 2010 SP1 (KB2588492)

There are a couple of hotfixes included in SCSM 2010 SP1 CU3. Maybe this helps with the duplicate workflow instances as well.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:19 PM
  • cool, downloading CU3 now. incidentally removing the incident source does not equal Operations Manager criteria made no difference (not that I expected it to anyway!)
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:22 PM
  • an update - I've installed the lastest Updates (Cumulative Updates 3) however the problem still exists.

What else can I check?

Monday, January 9, 2012 10:07 AM
  • to further test this, i've created an incident workflow which triggers when an incident is created, but with no criteria or actions. This test workflow also creates duplicate instances, the same as the production one.

however the duplicate instances only occur for incidents submitted via email. incidents from Ops Manager or from the web portal only run once. so it must be some issue with incidents from email.

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Hi There,

is this still an Issue?

Did you try to base the notification on update instead of create?

You could specify, that when status changes from New --> In progress, then Shoot of the mail to affected user?

Just checking

Lasse

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:30 PM
  • I have got similar kind of issue, intact much worse..

after implementing Auto Close Resolved Incidents Workflow from site "http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SCSM-2012-Auto-Close-1b26911f"

In my case every affected user received closure confirmation at an average of 700+ emails.. and that too for 5000+ tickets...

Please let me know if you found the cause and what was your probing to find the cause..

Currently I disabled the workflow to trigger alert for closed incidents.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Hello,

I was having same problem. My mistake was in Rule definition in managementpack

<Rule ID="My.Rule" Enabled="true" Target="SC!Microsoft.SystemCenter.WorkflowTarget">

Here Target attribute is incorrect, you need to declare your own classtype that inherits Microsoft.SystemCenter.WorkflowTarget class for example:

<ClassType ID="My.Rule.Class" Base="SC!Microsoft.SystemCenter.WorkflowTarget" Singleton="true" Hosted="false" Abstract="false" Accessibility="Public" />

and then point your rule's target to this new class

<Rule ID="My.Rule" Enabled="true" Target="My.Rule.Class">

This was my case, it helped. Hope this will help you too.

Best regards.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:13 AM