6TO4 Adaptor Code 10 error & other system issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have a brand new laptop running Windows Vista Premium Home Edition. My event log is showing daily Warnings and Critical Events with Standby Performance Monitoring and Boot Performance Monitoring. I also did a system diagnostic and it states the 6TO4 Adaptor Cannot Start.

Under Device Manager, I get a Caution sign and the message that the 6TO4 driver cannot start Code 10. I followed directions for updating the driver but the result was that the driver was installed and did not need updating.

I also ran a Reliability check and it says that I have less than 15% free space on the C drive.

Finally, I have a message saying that Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox are both slowing down the Shutdown of the computer.

These may all be separate issues but I'm hoping that the info MIGHT be related in some way. I'd like some idea of what's going on here as this seems like alot of issues for a brand new laptop to be experiencing.

Vista is new to me. I've been using XP on another laptop and never had issues before like this and I had less RAM.

Please help -- and in layperson's language!

Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding the 6TO4 issue, based on my research, the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter actually is a virtual device. In some scenarios, there will be a code 31 or code 10 error appearing beside this component. You can refer to the KB article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520/en-us

You can safely ignore this error message. This error message does not indicate a problem with the adapter. To remove the error messages, you can right-click the Command Prompt and choose run as administrator, type following command:

netsh in 6to4 set state disable

Then, press Enter. The component will be disabled and hidden.

Regarding the Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox issues, could you let me know when you receive these error messages? Shut down the computer or suddenly receive this error message? We need the detail information to troubleshoot this issue. Once we ensure this is a Windows Vista issue, we will continue to troubleshoot it. If it is a Mozilla’s issue, it is commended to contact Mozilla Support to address this issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps!

Friday, July 18, 2008 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the 6TO4 issue, based on my research, the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter actually is a virtual device. In some scenarios, there will be a code 31 or code 10 error appearing beside this component. You can refer to the KB article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520/en-us

You can safely ignore this error message. This error message does not indicate a problem with the adapter. To remove the error messages, you can right-click the Command Prompt and choose run as administrator, type following command:

netsh in 6to4 set state disable

Then, press Enter. The component will be disabled and hidden.

Regarding the Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox issues, could you let me know when you receive these error messages? Shut down the computer or suddenly receive this error message? We need the detail information to troubleshoot this issue. Once we ensure this is a Windows Vista issue, we will continue to troubleshoot it. If it is a Mozilla’s issue, it is commended to contact Mozilla Support to address this issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps!

Friday, July 18, 2008 10:10 AM
  • Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\millerralf>netsh in 6to4 set state disable
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.

C:\Users\millerralf>         this what I get, any ideas

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:19 PM
  • My system (Windows 7 Home Premium) had code 10 errors for the following network adapters:

Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, Microsoft ISATAP Adapter, Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter

Uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers still resulted in code 10 errors.

I then found: KB929852 which describes how to enable IPv6. In the Device Manager I uninstalled the 3 drivers, then ran the 5 fixit's (50440-50444), avoiding rebooting until after 50444 had finished. After the reboot, in the Device Manager, I successfully reinstalled the 3 drivers.

To install the drivers, select Action->Add legacy hardware, Next, select 'Install the hardware...(Advanced)', Next, select Network Adapters, Next, select Microsoft, then Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, Next, Next.

6to4 might not be fully up and running, but at least the drivers are successfully installed.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:44 PM