Windows 7:delete prompt appears while clicking on any icon or any folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using windows 7 ultimate. i am suffering from this problem from last few weeks. After starting windows and after loding all startup apps and services when i'm clicking on Computer icon on desktop or any other application icon or file or folder delete popup of that item appears in several times. this occurs even anything only got selected.

example: let i have a file named abc.txt on my desktop. after lodin windows i want to open this file. when i dbl click on that file, 30-40 delete popup appears. close of this popup is diabled. if i click on cancel button on popup more 30-40 delete popup comes up. in this way windows got hang.

I can overcome from this problem only killing process explorer.exe. now from windows task manager  if i again call explorer.exe then it works fine. No delete popup appears on selecting any file or folder or icon.

Can any one help me out to solve this problem?

is this a virus problem or bug in explorer.exe?

NB:- i'm using Norton Internet Security 2010 updated everyday. and no virus found by NIS.

Friday, November 26, 2010 7:50 PM

Answers

• Please try ShellExView

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

If the issue persists, please boot in Clean Boot Mode to troubleshoot

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 

If it does not help, please temporary remove NIS and check the result.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, December 3, 2010 5:27 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 7:02 AM

All replies

• Please try ShellExView

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

If the issue persists, please boot in Clean Boot Mode to troubleshoot

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 

If it does not help, please temporary remove NIS and check the result.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, December 3, 2010 5:27 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 7:02 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

I have tried to solve my problem in the way u have mentioned. I follow the steps. But when i tried to run ShellExView, it prompts, Command not found.

To run that command i've tried many things. But it dosen't work.

But surprisingly in this time my problem solved automatically. I don't know how it solved, for which step it has been resolved. but it's solved.

Thanks for ur kind help.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

I have tried to solve my problem in the way u have mentioned. I follow the steps. But when i tried to run ShellExView, it prompts, Command not found.

To run that command i've tried many things. But it dosen't work.

But surprisingly in this time my problem solved automatically. I don't know how it solved, for which step it has been resolved. but it's solved.

Thanks for ur kind help.

HI Arthur,

I am also suffering from this problem, i have tried all the step who is mentioned.

but it doesn't get any result.

any other solution..........

one more thing i have used the live cd to run the window , and get the same problem mentioned above.

help me out.

regards,

Amit

Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:19 AM
  • hello...i am also face this problem...even i tried to use Linux OS it also hapen..any idea or suggestion?
    • Edited by md24 Monday, October 10, 2011 4:42 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:42 AM
  • I had Similar Issue, When Typing text in a Notepad, and Pressing Shift Key, Automatically the Text used to get Erased. 

Also when double clicking the File/Folder, it used to ask for Sending to Recycle Bin. 

I ran Del System Tools for Keyboard Testing, and it turned out that "Delete" Key was Stuck. Used a Hair Dryer and Blew it under "Delete" key. Now it is working Fine.

Sunday, September 7, 2014 11:03 AM
  • Thank you, it worked. To use shell ex view I was required to download it.
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 5:31 PM