Biztalk 2006 - Stops receiving RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, We are running Biztalk 2006 standard - running on server 2003 SP1.
    We are using Biztalk for send PO's to our supplier and which receive PO's back.

The receive doc location is on an extrnally facing FTP server.

The issue we have is that from time to time around once a week Biztalk stops receiving SO's.
    We end up having to restart the services for it to start again - We cannot seem to find why this might be happening. We even thought it may have been down compatibilty issues with the FTP server so we upgrade this to server 2003 and the comaprable IIS but not change!

Really a little stumped?
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:07 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

I've seen this problem quite a while ago, and it seems to be an unresolved issue with the FTP receive adapter by the looks of it. The best workaround I can think of is to isolate the FTP adapter into its own host, and have a windows scheduled task or a SQL Server agent job to restart the host instance(s) for that host.

Thiago Almeida - http://connectedthoughts.wordpress.com
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:28 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Do you see any errors / warnings in the event log when this happens?
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:37 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. Nope there is nothing in the logs at all?
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:16 PM
  • I think the may concern is knowing what shoudl be checked or indeed what may stop Biztalk receiving?
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Is ur application getting partially stopped or completely stopped????
    are u aware of errorthreshold????
    but mostly Biztalk will log it in Event Viewer, if possible go thru each one of them carefully..
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:14 AM
  • Hi there,

I've seen this problem quite a while ago, and it seems to be an unresolved issue with the FTP receive adapter by the looks of it. The best workaround I can think of is to isolate the FTP adapter into its own host, and have a windows scheduled task or a SQL Server agent job to restart the host instance(s) for that host.

Thiago Almeida - http://connectedthoughts.wordpress.com
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:28 AM
    Answerer
  • First

As you are using FTP you need to make sure that your adapter is hosted on one running host at one time as FTP doesn't support file locking . SO running FTP adapters on multiple hosts may lead to multiple message processing eventually causing Loading over BizTalk server

Second
    You when the the BizTalk server stops receiving SO you need to answer the following question

Are the files at the FTP server withdrawn or not?

if yes this means that the message should be located at MessageBox database and by using HAT tool you should track it  [make sure tracking properties are set at the receive port location].

If files are still there at the FTP server this means that the orchestration instance hasn't been created in the first place which leads us that the problem mainly exists between the FTP adapter hosting server and the FTP server which may be related to security issues, are you using ISA server for managing connections

What about FTP server log file have you tried checking errors log file may be the answer is there

Friday, March 20, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Hi 

I am facing problem with FTP adapter.

this problem comes some ports only..

problem :---

some ftp ports are suddenly disable(it happens only receive ports).

Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:41 AM
  • You mean by disabled enlist/unlist feature if so then you should check rate of receiving files on such ports compared to processing orchestrations. This could happen as part of throttling mechanism of BizTalk when BizTalk is no longer unable to process requests becoz it is too busy with processing

Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:57 PM