none
Rich Copy questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm just starting to use Richcopy, and I was wondering if it's possible to copy an entire directory, including the creating the target directory and then copying all the files into the newly-created directory?  It seems that I have to manually create the new empty target directory, and then use Richcopy to copy the contents to the target directory?

Also, I'm looking for any hints to speed up copying directories with a bunch of large (multi-gigabyte) files.  I have a Windows 7 Utimate 64-bit machine, with 16GB of RAM.

Thanks,

Jim

Monday, May 2, 2011 7:21 PM

Answers

• The current speed is fine. You cannot hope that only a copying tool can improve the speed much. Other conditions such as the speed of your hard drives or the structure of your files can also determine how fast the copying speed is.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by jimcpl Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:45 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think that I figured the answer to my 1st question:  There are checkboxes next to the directories in the directory tree view, which I didn't notice.  I checked off the source directories, and that seemed to work, i.e., it created the directories on the target.

I'm still interested in any hints re. speeding up copying.  I've messed around with increasing cache size and # of threads, but that actually seem to slow things down.  I'm currently doing a copy with about 100GB, and it's taking over 40 minutes, from one SATA drive to a different SATA drive (on the same machine).

Jim

Monday, May 2, 2011 8:10 PM
  • The current speed is fine. You cannot hope that only a copying tool can improve the speed much. Other conditions such as the speed of your hard drives or the structure of your files can also determine how fast the copying speed is.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by jimcpl Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:45 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Hey! was just checking into see is there any alternative product for Microsoft Richcopy. Please keep post your comment.

Appreciate your help.

Friday, November 3, 2017 4:04 PM