none
the BMR item disappears when trying to select it for restore under DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Under DPM 2010 (version 3.0.7707.0 ) on a W2K8 R2 server,

When I try to select a BMR item (which is part of a synchronized protection group) from the restore tab of the DPM console, the item disappears (the tree is automaticly reduced), like by magie !!.

While I cannot select the Bare metal recovery item, I cannot restore it.

Does somebody know the solution to this issue ?

By advance thanks !

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Does this happen for all of the recovery point times?  If you choose the oldest one and then try to restore it, does the same thing happen?

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Trying to answer your question, I realized that I had 0 recovery point time for the BMR item. This might be the explaination of this issue !

But I do not understand because my protection group appeared synchronized after is creation. Now it is not synchronized any more. When I try to synce it fails.

What could I do to complete a recovery point time for the BMR item ?

Best Regards

Friday, May 6, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Okay, that explains it.  When you create a BMR/SS protection group, it marks it as synchronized initially as it works to create your initial replica.  So, it sounds like your IR never completed.  There is usually a short list that will help get the IR created.

• The biggest thing to look out of is to be sure the WSB feature is installed on the target server.
    • These can be very large, so it is best to walk through a BMR backup on the target server itself just to get a feel for the size of the backup and then when setting it up in DPM, you will know how much space you will need as DPM will use a default of 50Gb.  Once you know the size, edit the disk allocation in DPM for the protection group so that it can accomodate the backup.
    • If it fails to run from DPM at this point, you can open WSB console on target server and see the last attempted backup (which should be the one called by DPM) and get the network location it used.  Try running the backup of BMR within WSB and use that network location.  This may give you a better error to troubleshoot.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 6, 2011 12:39 PM
  • The WSB feature is installed.

When I try to perform a full system backup of the source server (W2K8 R2 standard SP1) directly from it's WSB interface, it fails with the following errors :

- Under WSB : Error  0x81000101 (------> The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again.)

- in the event log : The backup operation that started at «2011-05-07T01:27:44.959000000Z» has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348001'

Do you have any idea about how to fix this issue ?

PS : On the W2K8R2 server I am trying to backup, I have installed the following applications :

- MS SCVMM, DPM 2010, Hyper-V --> The W2K8R2 server I am trying to backup is member of a W2K8R2 domain. The DC is running under a VM within the Hyper-V of my W2K8R2 server !!  this may be an explanation ??

Best regards and thanks for your help

Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:04 PM
  • On the protected server, you can try modifying the following registry value:

Registry change HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP

Create new DWORD "CreateTimeout"

Value: 12000000 in decimal

You can also review this blog for further WBAdmin troubleshooting.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/09/16/diagnosing-failures-in-windows-server-backup-part-1-vss-spp-errors.aspx

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Régis dLF Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:26 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Régis dLF Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Régis dLF Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Régis dLF Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:14 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:31 PM
  • That's right !!! Creating the registry key allowed me to realize the full backup  of my w2k8R2 server with  WSB. Great thanks !

But unfortunately, the BMR replica is still empty and not synchronized under my DPM 2010 server ...  With the following error in the event log : "Failure of the backup started to "2011-05 - 10T02: 17:15.388430300 Z" error code "2155348040" (not enough free space on the storage location to store backup data.). View the details of the event to find a solution, then rerun the backup after the problem solved." The c: size is about 20 Gb and my replica is set to 100 GB.

When I performed the full backup of my server with WSB GUI, under the Backup Once Wizard I choosed "different options" and then select "Custom" in order to check the item "bare metal recovery" and not include all other partitions, because my server is also a DPM server so it includes several DPM partitions and a system partition in FAT 32 that WSB doesn't know how to backup.

However, when I create the protection group under the DPM GUI, I do not have the choice to exclude from the BMR a particular partition ....then it is possible to do so from the command line of WSB (-exclude: ....) Could it be the reason why my BMR replica is always empty ? Is there a way to exclude some particular partition from the BMR under DPM ?

PS : I  try to backup my server from another DPM server. When I select the source server under the wizard of DPM GUI I always have the following message :"DPM can not enumerate the contents of \\?\Volume {faec4775 .....}on the protected computer. The recycle bin, the System Volume Information folder, non-NTFS volumes, DFS links, CDs, the quorum disk (for a cluster) and other removable media can not ...."

Thanks and regards

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:21 AM
  • Hello

What role does this protected server have? HyperV? DC? SQL? The reason I ask is because if the protected server is also a HyperV with the VHD's on the C:, then those will also be included. When taking a BMR it will snapshot the whole C: drive including the VHD's which resided on the C: as well. This accounts for the large size needed for the BMR backup and an error may even be shown in the WSB logs.

Windows 2008 backup logs are located in the %windir%\logs\WindowsServerBackup folder.  Can you reference those logs and see what the log states?

Example:
    [2]15cc.134c 04/08/2011-19:17:48.895 [blbengutils BlbFillCatalogTemplateInfo BlbCatalogUtils.cpp@1542] INFO:ullTotalSourceSpace = (1745592774144) ullTotalSourceFreeSpace = (819589386752)ullExcludedFileSize = (34346196992)
    [2]15cc.134c 04/08/2011-19:17:48.895 [blbengutils BlbFillCatalogTemplateInfo BlbCatalogUtils.cpp@1554] ERROR:Backup target space is not enough, TotalSourceSpace(1745592774144), TotalSourceFreeSpace(819589386752), TotalExcludedFileSize(34346196992), ReclaimableSize(0), CurrentBackupSize(0), TotalTargetFreeSpace(80434085888)

Note: Backup target space is not enough, TotalSourceSpace(1745592774144), TotalSourceFreeSpace(819589386752), TotalExcludedFileSize(34346196992), ReclaimableSize(0), CurrentBackupSize(0), TotalTargetFreeSpace(80434085888)

Thanks
    Shane

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hello,

I still need your support on this thread because however the last reply (May 09) answered to the May 08 WSB issue (great thanks to Chris Butcher), but unfortunately, the BMR replica is still empty and not synchronized under my DPM 2010 server ...  With the following error in the event log : "Failure of the backup started to "2011-05 - 10T02: 17:15.388430300 Z" error code "2155348040" (not enough free space on the storage location to store backup data.). View the details of the event to find a solution, then rerun the backup after the problem solved."

The size of c; is about 20 Gb and my replica is set to 100 GB.

Is there a way to select the content of a BMR under a PG in order to exclude some partitions ?

Do you want I open another thread and close this one ?

Thanks and regards

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

At this moment you don't know which volumes are included in the BMR.

To check it out, run this command from an administrative command prompt on the protected server:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:%1

It will show something like this:

This will back up volume System Reserved (100.00 MB),C-SYSTEM(C:) to %1.

If some systemstate components were located on other volumes then that would be included in BMR and listed in the output. Please, post results here.

My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Hello,

The source server includes or is : member of a DC which is virtualized under is own hyper-v, - hyperV, - DPM 2010, - SQL, - SCVMM 2008 R2 and is connected to a SAN with iSCSI. Yes it includes a VM and his vhd file.

The folder %windir%\logs\WindowsServerBackup on my source server includes files with .log and .etl extension but no one looks like your example ?

Thanks

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hello,

Here is the command output :

c:\>wbadmin start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:%1
    wbadmin 1.0 - Tool command line backup
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corporation.

Retrieving volume information ...
    This operation will save the volume restricted to the system (100.00 MB), the disc
    ocal (C:) on% 1.

Thank you Yegor I am now able to list which volumes are involved by the BMR backup !

But unfortunatly my BMR replica is still empty, with the following error in the event log of the protected server : "The backup operation that began in "2011 - 05 - 12T04: 28:38.062000000 Z" failed due to the failure of the backup VSS intended to create a snapshot of volumes being backed up with the following error code "2155348129. " "

Thanks and regards

Friday, May 13, 2011 1:15 AM
  • There are a couple of things we can look at/for here.

First, since this is a DPM server, are you protecting it from another DPM server (I assume so, but making sure)?

On the protected server, open an elevated command prompt and run the following:

C:\> Diskpart.exe <enter>

DISKPART> automount <enter>

This will tell us if automatic mounting of new volumes is enabled or disabled.  Let us know which one it is.  Likely it is enabled so no action here will be needed.  If disabled, then run:

DISKPART> automount enable <enter>

Try creating the backup again from wbadmin.  Then look on the protected server in the event logs (application and system) for events that happen at the same time as the failure.  Post those alerts in here.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Hello,

I finally managed to establish a consistent replica of the BMR PG.

The cause of the last failure lay in the size of the replica which was proposed by default by the wizard. This size was too small. I enlarged the size of the replica in order it was equal or larger to the size used by the c: drive and it worked.

Thank you very much for your support.

Best regards.

Régis

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:25 PM
  • What to do if SPP not there under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\  ??
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:41 PM