Change Windows Vista Document icon RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been looking in the way to change the icon of a certain kind of document, for example, the .log file uses notepad as a default editor but it has right now the blank icon with the notepad icon in the center. I would like to change the icon for some types of documents, I remember the easy it was in Windows XP (In the Explorer windows -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types) but now I can't find that option in the Windows Vista Explorer Window, I've been looking around for some days now and I was unable to find a good answer.

Could somebody could tell me how could I change the icon used by Vista to display a document icon?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:50 PM

All replies

• Open the control panel,

In control panel home, click on Programs, and then click the link Make a file type always open in a specific program.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:58 AM
  • No, with that option you not only change the default program to open the file, it just change the document icon to the "default program document icon", that is not what I want, I just want to change the document icon , not the program who open the document, a simple example:

When I install something like Python, the document icon is the python document and that is fine, I usually open the document using a text editor, but if I change the "default open program" it would change the icon to the notepad icon, and that is wrong

Somebody remember in Win9x when I can edit the document associations? I could add custom actions and change the document icon, that is exactly what I want to do.

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:26 PM