farm backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am using the Moss 2007. I take the backup of full farm (select all the components of farm while taking the backup) with the help of Central Administration console. Can I restore this backup on new server? If yes, can anyone please provide me the steps to restore the backup? Thanks for help in advance.

Regards,

Amit Kumar

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:27 AM

Answers

• In your scenario you can make a backup of your Hyper-v Virtual Machine:

a. First, shut down your SharePoint farm (turn off all SharePoint and SQL servers)

b. Second, make a backup of your VM

c. You can test this backup in another environment to see if it’s working

MCITP|MCTS SharePoint| SharePoint Performance blog
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:54 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:36 AM
  • IIS Configuration is captured in system state. Also, providing you have made no external (outside of SharePoint) web application changes (such as altering web.config, for instance), the web application configurations are held in the configuration database itself.

Regards

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

Yes you can - on the destination farm you will select 'new configuration' when restoring. Check the following article for details.

Please note -

- You will have to prepare your destination farm beforehand - including deploying any custom solution you have any on the source farm. If I were you I'll also make both farms the same patch level.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd819893%28office.12%29.aspx

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Also you can analyze this article to see what is not included in the backup http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263427(office.12).aspx

•  
      • Internet Information Services (IIS) settings including host headers, dedicated IP addresses, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates.
      • Alternate access mappings.
      • The Inetpub directory.
      • Application pool settings, including service accounts (all accounts that run as Web applications, including the crawler account and the search account).
      • Farm-level search settings.
      • External service connection settings.
      • ……….

Monday, January 23, 2012 7:28 PM
  • When you do a Farm to another Farm restore always make sure you use new configuration. however as far as catastrophic backup is concerned it usually fails. (with weird unexplained error messages and they way to go about it is usually complex)

if you have a small farm Catastrophic will work or go with SQL database backup and restore connecting it to the web applications on new farm. 

Thanks, 

Nidhi 

- Nidhi
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Thanks all of you, I really appreciate your help.

Hi Nidhi,

In case of SQL backup I suppose you mean that I should take SQL backup of configuration and content db and restore the same at destination. I suppose it will work however it may be that front-end web server might also have few changes which we might not know. then how will we deal with these changes?

Regards Amit

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:27 AM
  • YES i mean taking the backup of the content databases when you install a new MOSS in new Farm it will have a new config database, Microsoft doesnot recommend using same config database, its not supported.

if we are talking about changes with respect to services they will have to be redone.

but its the best practise by microsoft to start off a new farm with a new config database to avoid GUID and account errors.

if changes means customization they will be have to re-done in the new Farm using any mode of backup restore.

- Nidhi
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:46 AM
  • Hi Nidhi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Actually I am working on backups & disaster recovery plan for a content management solution.

I do agree that it is not feasible to restore the configuration db on new farm. Regarding the custom changes, I suppose custom changes would be at two places. One is content db and another is 12hive folder on frond end server. If content db is backup then Content db changes will be available in backup however 12hive folder change are not.

I suppose backup will be complete backup when it has both content db changes along with 12hive changes.  So it seems to me that for complete back we have to keep track of all the changes in 12hive so that we can redo the same on new farm when needed. Practically it seems to me that it might not be feasible. What do you suggest regarding the same?

There one more thing remaining that is sharepoint inetpub directory however it would be standard so I suppose there is no need to backup the same. What do you say regarding the same?

Thx Amit K

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:21 AM one missed!
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to add a paragraph form this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263427(office.12).aspx

Using Central Administration to back up and recover your system has the following limitations:

Does not back up any configuration changes, including:

·         The Inetpub directory.

Does not back up any customizations, including:

·         The %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12 directory.

·         Any customizations made to the Web.config file.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:28 AM
  • I have gone through the link & it seems to me that there is no method which can be used to backup inetpub and 12hive changes. Will exact copy of 12hive and SP virtual folders in inetput work on new farm? My option is that it will not work. Any suggestion?

Senior technical architect suggested me to use “Symantec Back exec for SharePoint”. If anyone of you aware, will this tool backup the inetpub and 12hive changes. I am wondering whether this tool will backup these artefacts.

Regards Amit

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Hi,

Using SharePoint Out of the Box features I don’t know a supported method to backup 12 hive or inetpub.

Are you using a virtual environment?

Also, regarding third parties backup you can check DocAve6 from Avepoint http://www.avepoint.com/

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for giving me your time.

Yes, Server is on virtual environment and Image(Snapshot) of server can be taken. However Snapshot will not work in long term. what do you say? For time being i have asked hosting to take the snapshot till i do finalize the backup approach.

Regards Amit Kumar

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Hi Amit,

Per what Bogdan stated, the 12 hive and other components should be backed up (IIS Configurations, etc.). A complete SharePoint backup will not only backup the SharePoint components but also other file system components by backing up "System State" and the 12 hive. The Symantec product will backup the system state as part of a standard backup schedule, but you can also backup directly from Windows backup or copy configurations manually, your choice.

Regards,

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:47 AM
  • Troy: Thank you for your input. I know that what you are saying it’s applicable for SharePoint 2010 backup http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261687.aspx. Are you sure that the IIS Configuration is included in a SharePoint 2007 backup?

Amit: Could you please provide some information regarding your farm topology (number of SharePoint Servers, SQL server)?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Thanks Bogdam & Troy.

it is very small farm, everything is one single server for now.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:51 AM
  • In your scenario you can make a backup of your Hyper-v Virtual Machine:

a. First, shut down your SharePoint farm (turn off all SharePoint and SQL servers)

b. Second, make a backup of your VM

c. You can test this backup in another environment to see if it’s working

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:36 AM
  • IIS Configuration is captured in system state. Also, providing you have made no external (outside of SharePoint) web application changes (such as altering web.config, for instance), the web application configurations are held in the configuration database itself.

Regards

Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:08 AM