none
SQL reporting Services and Report Designer location RRS feed

• Question

• We had a company come in and install our project server 2010 and sharepoint environment.  However, I cannot find the BI tools for report designer in my visual studio 2010 that is on my PC.  I want to use the BI development studio report designer but cannot find it.  Do you have to install something on top of SQL 2008 or is it just an app you install off of the sql 2008 DVD to you desktop?  

Cletus51

Monday, May 13, 2013 12:07 AM

Answers

• I found that the SQL 2008 install media has the option of putting BI development studio on the PC by installing that option on my PC.  It actually installs a shell of visual studio 2008 with the BI tools present.  This was what I needed.  I did use the report builder as well once I downloaded it but the BI tools are what I really needed.

Cletus51

Monday, May 20, 2013 1:30 PM

All replies

• If you are referring to BIDS, check your SQL Server, it installs part of that installation media - but you could also investigate Report Builder as well (most likely Report Builder 3.0) - if its a SSRS site, and you have permissions on that site, you may have a Report Builder link. You can download the software as well;

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=6116

Not sure what/if your partner installed software on your machine e.g visual studio.

Hopefully that gives you some steer.

Monday, May 13, 2013 12:34 AM
  • I found that the SQL 2008 install media has the option of putting BI development studio on the PC by installing that option on my PC.  It actually installs a shell of visual studio 2008 with the BI tools present.  This was what I needed.  I did use the report builder as well once I downloaded it but the BI tools are what I really needed.

Cletus51

Monday, May 20, 2013 1:30 PM