4.6SP2 - Specific registry key not updated when using VirtualRegistryPassthroughEx RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Another day, another issue. We have virtualized Office 2007 Pro Plus SP3. For support reasons I've excluded the 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office' through the VirtualRegistryPassthroughEx functionality. So all 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office'  keys/values end up in the real registry of the user which is exactly what we want. Everything... except 'HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\<Office application>\File MRU'. Same for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access. The key is actually made in the users registry (hence it has permissions) but it's not filled with any values. The result is that the Office applications do not keep history of opened files. If I DON'T exclude that whole Office key + subtree from Virtual Registry everything works fine at the fine of being a bit less versatile with remote support.

So I have two questions:

- Is there a regkey that does explicitely INCLUDE a key in the Virtual Registry? ie. the opposite of VirtualRegistryPassthroughEx. As VirtualRegistryPassthroughEx works recursively, the only option would be to enter all other subkeys seperately unless I can explicitely include a specific key in the virtual registry.

- How to troubleshoot why the 'File MRU' key is not filled? I checked with ProcessMonitor, when registry is virtualized, there is a RegSetValue:

Type: REG_SZ, Length: 188, Data: [F00000000][T01CE308458AC8280]*Z:\Documentatie\AppV\AppV 5\App-46_Sequencing_Guide_Final.docx
    but when registry is not virtualized, there isn't even an attempt to set it (no access denied or anything either).

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:46 PM

All replies

• Are you sure to be sure that it's not included anywhere in the virtual package? perhaps under a SID?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 11:11 PM
  • For a quick verification you could use Tim Mangan's PKGView to see if those settings accidentially were stored by App-V: http://www.tmurgent.com/Tool_PkgView.aspx

I guess not, because in that case they'd be restored by App-V as well.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:09 AM
  • Thanks for your answers. I already used PKGView, I forgot to mention. I use it all the time, great tool! However nothing in there. If the key ended up in the virtual registry for some reason I would expect it to be read from there too. Using ProcessMonitor though I can't even see it tries to be written.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:13 AM