How to reinstall WSUS DB on 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old 2008R2 server which constantly has SUS DB issues. it's grown to 10GB and giving errors that the SQL Express size ecxeeded.  I've tried the WSUS cleanup, That doesnt work

I just want to wipe WSUS and start again, whats the best process for this on 2008r2?

I've seen these steps mentioned, 

Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Name UpdateServices,Windows-Internal-Database -Restart

Install-WindowsFeature UpdateServices -Restart

In between, it says to delete the WID from c:\windows\WID or C:\Windows\sysmsi\ssee.  My server has neither of these folders so I have no idea where the SUS DB is

Note, this server is also a Domain Controller, I am not 100% sure that AD isn't also using the WID so obviously I don't wont to break AD

Thanks

• Edited by Geezer32 Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:48 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Geezer32,

Thanks for your posting.

To remove the WSUS completely, you need to:
    a. Remove the following server roles and features through Server Manager:
    Roles: Windows Server Update Server
    features: Windows Server Update Services Tools(at Remote Server Administration Tools -> Role Administration Tools)
    Follow the wizard prompts to complete the deletion. Then restart the server.

b. After the server is restarted, manually delete the folder or file of the following path:
    - C:\WSUS (this depends on where you choose to install the WSUS)
    - C:\Program Files\Update Services

c. Delete database files
    If you use SQL Server Management Studio to delete a database, you can try as follow:
    In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine, and then expand that instance. Expand Databases, right-click the database to delete, and then click Delete. Confirm the correct database is selected, and then click OK.

If you use a WID database, it is recommended to delete the following path folders:
    C:\Windows\WID

d. In the IIS Information Services (IIS) Manager, manually remove the WSUS Administration site. Then restart the server. 

Please consider restarting your computer and then reinstalling WSUS after finishing above steps.

IF you have any updates about this issue, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Udara Kaushalya Monday, May 25, 2020 4:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Geezer32 Monday, May 25, 2020 5:05 AM
    Friday, May 22, 2020 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Geezer32,

Thanks for your posting.

To remove the WSUS completely, you need to:
    a. Remove the following server roles and features through Server Manager:
    Roles: Windows Server Update Server
    features: Windows Server Update Services Tools(at Remote Server Administration Tools -> Role Administration Tools)
    Follow the wizard prompts to complete the deletion. Then restart the server.

b. After the server is restarted, manually delete the folder or file of the following path:
    - C:\WSUS (this depends on where you choose to install the WSUS)
    - C:\Program Files\Update Services

c. Delete database files
    If you use SQL Server Management Studio to delete a database, you can try as follow:
    In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine, and then expand that instance. Expand Databases, right-click the database to delete, and then click Delete. Confirm the correct database is selected, and then click OK.

If you use a WID database, it is recommended to delete the following path folders:
    C:\Windows\WID

d. In the IIS Information Services (IIS) Manager, manually remove the WSUS Administration site. Then restart the server. 

Please consider restarting your computer and then reinstalling WSUS after finishing above steps.

IF you have any updates about this issue, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Udara Kaushalya Monday, May 25, 2020 4:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Geezer32 Monday, May 25, 2020 5:05 AM
    Friday, May 22, 2020 6:35 AM
  • Hi Geezer32,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Rita

Monday, May 25, 2020 8:52 AM