none
group policy quetion- please help!

Question

• I have a (big) question regarding GROUP POLICY… I’m working on a class project and I’m still a novice with Windows Server 2012.

If anyone can help me with a basic chart or diagram to get me started it would be VERY helpful!!!! I’m pretty lost with group policy.

I have to create a network for a small company with a 1 domain controller, 1 Read Only domain controller, 1 other server, and a Client 8.1. The domain controller will have ADDS, DNS, DHCP and WDS. The Read only controller will have file and print services, DFS and IIS. The other server will also have File and Print Services, DFS and WSUS.The Client 8.1 will have RSAT tools..

I need to have 30 users and 30 computer accounts. One main user will be an IT admin named John Production. I need to have a base Organizational Unit called MyCompannyXX.

There needs to be 6 Global Security groups ( IT, Marketing,Finance, HR, Executives, and Future Branch)

There also needs to be 7 Organizational units called IT, Marketing, Finance, HR, Executives and Furture branch. All of these units  need to be put inside an OU called Company groups.

I need to have a password policy for the IT users. All users need to get to a company website when IE is launched.

Only IT users can access the control panel

I need to create (any) 2 policies for users

And 1 policy for IT users.

Also, the Group policy settings for WSUS need to be set for 3 groups: Computers, Member Serrvices and Domain controllers

THANK YOU!!!

Saturday, March 7, 2015 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Dianel,

How is your project going now? Are you able to build the environment according to the requirements? The roles you mentioned can be done by the"add roles and features" option in the server manager. Also you may manage the user/computer accounts and the OU/ GROUPS under ADUC snap-in on the domain controller.

Regarding the GPO settings, you can refer to the link provided by DonPick, it can be helpful for you to understanding the basic GPO settings. The password policy (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781633%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-214721739)and the control panel policy can be easily founded on the TechNet documents.

You can follow the setp below to set the IE default page:

1.Create a GPO and link it to a scope (Site, Domain or OU level not group) that contains all your specified user accounts.
    2. Edit the GPO: GPO name-->User Configuration-->Policies-->Administrative Templates-->Windows Components-->Internet Explorer-->Disable changing home page settings-->Enable-->Home Page: input your specified home page
    3. Logoff or restart user computer to apply this GPO

Hope they can be helpful.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

In addition with other's posts,

Password policy : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc781633%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Setting up company webpage as default :

• Create a new GPO or edit the existing one. (I'm assuming you know how to do this already. Let me know if you don't.)
    • In the Group Policy Management Editor, go to User Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer.
    • Find the policy Disable changing home page settings.
    • Set it to Enabled, and specify the URL for your home page.

Once it applies, the option in IE will be greyed out on the client PC.

Regards,

Prabhu

Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:26 AM

All replies

• this may be helpful: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754657(v=WS.10).aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, March 8, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Hi Dianel,

How is your project going now? Are you able to build the environment according to the requirements? The roles you mentioned can be done by the"add roles and features" option in the server manager. Also you may manage the user/computer accounts and the OU/ GROUPS under ADUC snap-in on the domain controller.

Regarding the GPO settings, you can refer to the link provided by DonPick, it can be helpful for you to understanding the basic GPO settings. The password policy (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781633%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-214721739)and the control panel policy can be easily founded on the TechNet documents.

You can follow the setp below to set the IE default page:

1.Create a GPO and link it to a scope (Site, Domain or OU level not group) that contains all your specified user accounts.
    2. Edit the GPO: GPO name-->User Configuration-->Policies-->Administrative Templates-->Windows Components-->Internet Explorer-->Disable changing home page settings-->Enable-->Home Page: input your specified home page
    3. Logoff or restart user computer to apply this GPO

Hope they can be helpful.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

In addition with other's posts,

Password policy : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc781633%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Setting up company webpage as default :

• Create a new GPO or edit the existing one. (I'm assuming you know how to do this already. Let me know if you don't.)
    • In the Group Policy Management Editor, go to User Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer.
    • Find the policy Disable changing home page settings.
    • Set it to Enabled, and specify the URL for your home page.

Once it applies, the option in IE will be greyed out on the client PC.

Regards,

Prabhu

Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:26 AM