none
upgrade vs. fresh install RRS feed

• Question

• I inherited a situation where system center 2012 RTM is installed on Windows Server 2008 R2.  It wasn't completely functional, but I've configured it so it is working; pushing out Endpoint Protection and allowing me to do remote assistance.  The problem is that it doesn't support Windows 10 and we would like to move in that direction.  I've tried following the directions to upgrade to SP1 and then SP2, but its complicated.  Should I just look to build a new installation on Server 2012 R2, or should I upgrade?  What is the easiest to set up?  Can I build the new installation while the old one is still functioning?  Any advice appreciated.  
    Monday, March 13, 2017 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hello

Either that or you can do a Side-By-Side Migration by installing a completely new ConfigMgr Environment and then perform the Migration.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/migration/migrate-data-between-hierarchies

Regards, Regin Ravi

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:15 PM
  • You can also do a Backup&Restore to a new Server 2012 R2 / 2016 OS. When choosing this, you could upgrade you existing Infrastructure to CB 1606 or 1610, and then perform a Restore of the Site-Backup onto a new Server 2012 R2 / 2016.

You basically have "Upgrade", "Backup & Restore", and "Side-by-Side" Migration as a choice.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:19 PM