unable to send database mail to external user RRS feed

• Question

• I have two domains. forest domain abc which has the exchange infrastructure. forest domain xyz which does not have exchange. There is a two way trust set up.

I have set up database mail which sends internally but not externally on the xyz domain its uses mailrelay address to comunicate with exchange. The receive connector is set up correctly on exchange on domain abc as I have managed to send email from a sql server to external contact in the abc domain.

The IP addresses are correct on the receive connector.

The problem is I am unable to send to an external contact from the sql server in the xyz domain. Not sure if this an exchange issue or database mail.

Any advice would be helpful.

Monday, July 13, 2015 3:09 PM

Answers

• Good day

Firstly, I agree with Lydia's response that we need more information. In the mean time I will try to make some assumption according to your description.

1. If I understand correctly, then you only able to "sends internally but not externally" and that point us to a problem that has nothing to do with the SQL Server. first, you need to be able to use the email account externally from any application that you are familier with, and just then go back to the SQL Server, which is doing basically just the same.

2. You can try to use proxy server. The proxy should be internally in the domain that send the email OK, so sending the external email will be done throw that proxy.

3. This is really a workaround just for fun, but it should work :-)

behind the scenes when we send email the email first put as a text file in outgoing folder, in the email server. Next, it will be send from there. There is a simple option that I used in the past (not related to SQL Server), which is just create simple text file that fit email format (including the hears!) and put this file directly in the "out" folder. It work great, but need work to create the formatted text file.

back to our issue :-)

* please try to give us more information
    * please try the email externally from another application that is dedicated to send emails

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Affy,

Could you please post the full error message for analysis?

There is  also a blog describing different database mail error in SQL Server and troubleshooting steps for your reference.
    http://mssqlwiki.com/2012/08/25/database-mail-errors-in-sql-server-troubleshooting-steps/

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 6:27 AM
  • Good day

Firstly, I agree with Lydia's response that we need more information. In the mean time I will try to make some assumption according to your description.

1. If I understand correctly, then you only able to "sends internally but not externally" and that point us to a problem that has nothing to do with the SQL Server. first, you need to be able to use the email account externally from any application that you are familier with, and just then go back to the SQL Server, which is doing basically just the same.

2. You can try to use proxy server. The proxy should be internally in the domain that send the email OK, so sending the external email will be done throw that proxy.

3. This is really a workaround just for fun, but it should work :-)

behind the scenes when we send email the email first put as a text file in outgoing folder, in the email server. Next, it will be send from there. There is a simple option that I used in the past (not related to SQL Server), which is just create simple text file that fit email format (including the hears!) and put this file directly in the "out" folder. It work great, but need work to create the formatted text file.

back to our issue :-)

* please try to give us more information
    * please try the email externally from another application that is dedicated to send emails

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 7:22 AM