MAPS for Data Center RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on getting this tool up and running to go out an scan all of our clients in our data center. However I am receiving an error back stating that the object exporter specified was not found. I know the VLAN and subnet I am on has access to port 135 over telnet but I am not receiving a WMI response back. I am testing on just 1 client and have verified the Windows Firewall is off and that WMI is installed on this box. 

Any assistance please?

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:28 PM

All replies

• Where are you seeing that error? That sounds like an installation error, not an inventory error. If you are getting that during installation, what OS are you trying to install MAP on? MAP can only be installed on Vista/2008 SP2 or newer.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:50 PM
  • Not an install error as I already have it installed on a 2008r2 box with sql 2012. I am getting this error when running wbemtest against the remote machine. Due to that I am scanning by IP base because of the DC infrastructure I tried with the IP. The MAPS tool itself was failing when trying to get the information form the host. Again though i can telnet to that remote machine on port 135

thank you

Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:40 AM
  • WMI uses both forward and reverse DNS lookups, I've seen an improperly configured reverse lookup cause problems for others in the past. Also, WMI itself is not on port 135, that is just the RPC endpoint mapper. WMI is one of a few technologies that uses RPC and as such is dynamically assigned an IP above 1024. When a product like WBEMTEST or MAP connects to a machine using WMI, it first contacts RPC on port 135 to find out the WMI port for that specific machine, and that port will vary per machine.

Did WBEMTEST have an error code associated with the error message? I haven't heard of that error before, is that the exact text of the error produced?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:02 AM