Enable Right Click on Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 2008 domain.  I have windows xp and windows 7 clients.  Both windows xp and windows 7 can not right click on anything from the start menu and cannot drag an icon from the start menu.  I can enable dragging and dropping from the start menu and taskbar properties on the computer but I do not want to have to touch every computer.  Is there a way I can fix this through goup policy?
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:46 PM

Answers

• Check the "Remove access to context menu" policy. Is it enabled or disabled ? This option is available for Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, Start Menu and Taskbar.

Look after it here :

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Start Menu and Taskbar

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Explorer

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Internet Explorer | Browser Menus

You can always look for "Remove Drag-and-drop context menus on the Start menu" here : User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Start Menu and Taskbar

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

For your information, "Remove Drag-and-drop and context menus on the Start menu" prevents users from using the drag-and-drop method to reorder or remove items on the Start menu. Also, it removes context menus from the Start menu. If you disable this setting or do not configure it, users can remove or reorder Start menu items by dragging and dropping the item. They can display context menus by right-clicking a Start menu item.

Please check whether you have enabled "Remove Drag-and-drop and context menus on the Start menu". If the issue persists, please gather the following file on one problematic client for research:

gpresult/v > C:\policy.txt

Please paste the result here.

Thanks.

Nina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:48 AM

All replies

• Check the "Remove access to context menu" policy. Is it enabled or disabled ? This option is available for Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, Start Menu and Taskbar.

Look after it here :

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Start Menu and Taskbar

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Explorer

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Internet Explorer | Browser Menus

You can always look for "Remove Drag-and-drop context menus on the Start menu" here : User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Start Menu and Taskbar

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

For your information, "Remove Drag-and-drop and context menus on the Start menu" prevents users from using the drag-and-drop method to reorder or remove items on the Start menu. Also, it removes context menus from the Start menu. If you disable this setting or do not configure it, users can remove or reorder Start menu items by dragging and dropping the item. They can display context menus by right-clicking a Start menu item.

Please check whether you have enabled "Remove Drag-and-drop and context menus on the Start menu". If the issue persists, please gather the following file on one problematic client for research:

gpresult/v > C:\policy.txt

Please paste the result here.

Thanks.

Nina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:48 AM