none
DPM System State Backup failing RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a hard time backing up the system state on 2 of our domain controllers. They are VMs running 2008 R2 Core. The wbadmin systemstatebackup works when I back it up to a network share. The DPM is giving me an error of DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 517, WSB Error Code:  0x8078002C). The logs in the Event Viewer have this:

The backup operation that started at '¿2010¿-¿12¿-¿22T14:25:02.170467600Z' has failed with following error code '2155348012' (One of the backup files is corrupted.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

I haven't had any luck online with it. Any help is appreciated. I do have another DC with same OS and configuration that's working.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1.) I'd start with this link first: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734395(WS.10).aspx

2.) I'd then test making a backup outside of DPM.  DPM uses the wbadmin (ntbackup) to take the snapshot before transferring it to DPM. If this piece fails then the failure is occurring before you ever make it to DPM.

From a command prompt type: Wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:c:

and let's see if this completes successfully.

3.) Also look at the backup logs found in C:\Windows\logs\WindowsServerBackup

4.) What is the value of the following key:

HKLM\Systtem\CurrentControlSet\Services\wbengine\SystemStateBackup\AllowSSBToAnyVolume
    Is the AllowSSBToAnyVolume there? If so is it a red Dword and set to 0x1?

Thanks,
    Shane

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Praveen D [MSFT] Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:45 PM