Running Multiple drives on 7 multiplies fragmentation exponentially? RRS feed

• Question

• I was told to avoid running multiple drives a lot on 7 because fragmentation problems rise exponentially the more it's done? Anyone know if that's true?
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:33 PM

All replies

• Not true.  Consider installing an excellent, robust and thorough defrag program such as PerfectDisk 12
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:55 PM
  • On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:33:36 +0000, Saka1 wrote:

I was told to avoid running multiple drives a lot on 7 because fragmentation problems rise exponentially the more it's done? Anyone know if that's true?

It's not at all true.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:12 PM
  • I don't see how multiple drives can increase fragmentation.  Windows 7 will automatically defragment your drives on schedule by default, so defragmentation is not something we need worry about anymore. (At last!)

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:24 PM
  • I was told to avoid running multiple drives a lot on 7 because fragmentation problems rise exponentially the more it's done? Anyone know if that's true?

As everyone else has commented, this is not true.

I agree that you should look at an excellent, robust and thorough defrag program, but I recommend Diskeeper 2011.

Why? Look at the Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison done earlier this year of the best defrag programs around:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

They awarded Diskeeper the gold medal for being the most transparent defrag program of all the ones tested. See the review for full details.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Not true.  Consider installing an excellent, robust and thorough defrag program such as PerfectDisk 12
    Carey Frisch

Huh?  Windows 7 comes with a defrag program scheduled to run weekly right out of the box.

Under what conditions do you feel you need more?  Hint, this is a long-term Windows 7 user whose computer is as fast as ever asking.

-Noel

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:08 AM
  • I agree with Noel.  As I said before, worrying about defragmenting is a thing of the past.  And paying for it is even worse.

You've already 'paid' for it when you bought Windows 7.  This is not the forum for discussing 3rd party products, but I will say that defragmentaion tools that run continuously in the background (no names mentioned) are a bone of contention amoung some users.

I personally believe they are detrimental, and in fact reduce the life of your drive.  They give you a false sense of security, and, yes, they would have to be very transparent even to be usable.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:07 PM