none
SQL recovery points not available every 15 minutes (synchronization) RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2010 backing up a SQL 2008 server.

I have two databases selected for backup, 1 is very small and the other is about 8 GB.

I have noticed that the smaller DB has recovery points every 15 minutes (per sync) but the 8 GB database only has recovery points based on express full backup schedule.

When I try to modify the protection group on the Select Short-term Goals page it says "Recovery points will be created for some members in the protections group based on the express full backup schedule.  To view members for which full backup is supported, click view members" - and only the smaller database shows up in that list.

Why is the larger DB not suitable for full backup, and how do I get it set up so it is?

thanks!

Wes

• Moved by MarcReynolds Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:36 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You need to change the recovery model from simple to full for that database, then stop - restart protection for DPM to pick up the new model, then incrementals can be performed.

Changing the Recovery Model of a Database: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808756.aspx

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Thanks Mike, I had come across a post saying to do that, but I assumed it was a change in DPM and I couldn't find it.  Thanks for the link - that makes it clear!

-Wes

Friday, September 10, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Hi Mike, can you help with one other thing... I'm assuming that this DB is not in full recovery mode because I have configured it for log shipping... we have a second SQL server that I doing log shipping to as a second level of backup/disaster recovery.  I currently have it set to hold onto logs for 5 days.  Is this what is preventing DPM from doing recovery points, and if so how can I configure things so that I can do both log shipping and still use DPM to do 15 minute recovery points?

thanks!

Wes

Friday, September 10, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Can I use some other method to keep an offsite copy of the db?  Mirroring or replication maybe?
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:45 AM