none
How to define a deadline relative to another task? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Does anyone know if there is any way to define deadlines relative to another task?

I'm creating the project WBS and leveling according to the different resource capacity scenarios. Now I need to define when do I need the external dependencies finished, that I depend on, in order to communicate to the other groups my expectations regarding their deliverables' dates. 
    For this purpose I created a milestone task that represent the external dependency that I'd like to move automatically with the dependant task that moves according to the leveling result for each resource capacity scenario. However I can only accomplish this with a Start-Finish relationship which changes the milestone Start date. But what I'd like to have is the milestone deadline moving and acting as a real deadline of the dependency delivery and the milestone Start date representing the agreement reached with the group responsible for its delivery.

Does anyone has an idea how to accomplish this, in case this is possible? 
    Any other suggestions to address my need are also welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:36 PM

Answers

• Ricardo, you ask if there is 'any way' to have a deadline be set based on another task's date. Well, it is possible although it uses a method I try to avoid - use Copy and Paste Special (paste link) - from the finish date of the predecessor resource levelled task to the Deadline of your milestone task. I don't like the method because it regularly prompts to ask whether you want to update the target field value and is sometimes slow to update - but it does work. You will need to display the deadline column in the Gantt chart view in order to do the paste special.

Graham

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:20 AM

All replies

• Ricardo, you ask if there is 'any way' to have a deadline be set based on another task's date. Well, it is possible although it uses a method I try to avoid - use Copy and Paste Special (paste link) - from the finish date of the predecessor resource levelled task to the Deadline of your milestone task. I don't like the method because it regularly prompts to ask whether you want to update the target field value and is sometimes slow to update - but it does work. You will need to display the deadline column in the Gantt chart view in order to do the paste special.

Graham

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:20 AM
  • Your solution works perfectly!

I was not aware of the Past Special as Link ability which is very useful and opens a lot of new choices!...

The only drawback is, besides the prompt that you mentioned, sometimes I need to hit F9 to update the linked value.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:53 PM