Internet Explorer 11 with 8.1 and 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Internet Explorer Royally breaks compatibility with many websites and more laughably some that rely on forefront. I have noticed that even when I add websites to compatibility mode and some work, closing and re-opening the software removes them from the list. Are there plans to address this?

Is there a way to at least get Internet Explorer 11 to impersonate 10 (apart from the F12 user agent option) consistently?

Monday, January 13, 2014 11:02 PM

Answers

• Hi, GPO has settings to "Use policy lists of Internet Explorer sites" (forces IE7 Emulation) "Use policy lists of Quirks mode sites" (forces IE5 Quirks Mode emulation) there is no way to force IE11 to use IE10 compatibility settings... this has to be done by the owners of the website...either by adding a x-ua meta tag to their pages or response headers or by application to MS to have their site included in the MS Compatibility view lists. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288325(v=vs.85).aspx - defining document compatibility If you find that to access the website from your network you need to use the Developer tool to toggle the DocumentMode then 1. the website is using Useragent sniffing and does not recognize IE11's changed UAS. (see compatibility change list link above). 2. the website is using a depreciated feature (see compatibility change list link above). 3. the website is using 32bit activeX controls. IE11 (used to) by default uses Enhanced Protected Mode... which by default blocks x32 ActiveX controls (uses a x64 browser window)... by default EPM is turned off for the Intranet zone... so accessing a third-party site from you intranet will cause problems...to correct the issue place the third-party site in your Trusted or Intranet zone lists. Please post a link to the website you are having an issue with. or Open a support ticket at support.microsoft.com to allow a support engineer to access your networks and to investigate the issue. or Contact the webmasters of the website to inform them of its incompatibilities with IE11. Regards.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by manesiotish Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:38 PM
  • The problem is that the standard ie.browser file in ASP.NET versions other than .NET 4.5 cause IE 11 to be detected as Mozilla version 0.0. This is because of the decision to royally mangle the user-agent string for IE 11. I guess Microsoft wants everyone to move on to other browsers such as Firefox and Chrome.

Dan Randolph - My Code Samples List

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:01 AM

All replies

• Forefront is the MS Enterprise security package? (wtf?)

There should be no reason to force IE11 to use IE10's rendering/userAgent....

Compatibility Changes in IE11

You are probably using UAS sniffing in your scripts.

.... the one exception is the asp RDC (Remote data control)

Post questions about html, css and scripting for website Development to the IE Web development forum with a link to your website.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:30 AM
  • Rob,

This is not a website we develop or maintain. This is a state website that is using forefront UAG. If I add it to compatibility settings it works. As soon as I close and re-open IE11 it removes it from compatibility settings.

I would like to know if it is a known issue with IE 11.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:01 PM
  • Hi, GPO has settings to "Use policy lists of Internet Explorer sites" (forces IE7 Emulation) "Use policy lists of Quirks mode sites" (forces IE5 Quirks Mode emulation) there is no way to force IE11 to use IE10 compatibility settings... this has to be done by the owners of the website...either by adding a x-ua meta tag to their pages or response headers or by application to MS to have their site included in the MS Compatibility view lists. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288325(v=vs.85).aspx - defining document compatibility If you find that to access the website from your network you need to use the Developer tool to toggle the DocumentMode then 1. the website is using Useragent sniffing and does not recognize IE11's changed UAS. (see compatibility change list link above). 2. the website is using a depreciated feature (see compatibility change list link above). 3. the website is using 32bit activeX controls. IE11 (used to) by default uses Enhanced Protected Mode... which by default blocks x32 ActiveX controls (uses a x64 browser window)... by default EPM is turned off for the Intranet zone... so accessing a third-party site from you intranet will cause problems...to correct the issue place the third-party site in your Trusted or Intranet zone lists. Please post a link to the website you are having an issue with. or Open a support ticket at support.microsoft.com to allow a support engineer to access your networks and to investigate the issue. or Contact the webmasters of the website to inform them of its incompatibilities with IE11. Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:38 PM
  • The problem is that the standard ie.browser file in ASP.NET versions other than .NET 4.5 cause IE 11 to be detected as Mozilla version 0.0. This is because of the decision to royally mangle the user-agent string for IE 11. I guess Microsoft wants everyone to move on to other browsers such as Firefox and Chrome.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:01 AM
  • Rob,

Thanks for the information.  On one hand I am glad that IE is broken so that maybe those website developers will be forced to actually start earning their money and keep their code updated and functional for all major browsers as opposed to relying on IE6 level functionality back in the fast and loose days where IE never changed or received a significant update for years.

On the other hand this, transition could be handled better but that is the story of Windows 8.

I will try the workarounds, but will not hold my breath. This can be marked as answered.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:02 PM
  • OK, I got this link from Wang on my other posted question. Custom browser file workaround for web host

Website IT must create/apply this patch. Users might be able to do a registry hack or use F12 to modify their own user-agent string.

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:20 PM