Can I use a borrowed install disc to repair my installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've been having some problems with Vista, and in the course of trying to troubleshoot and solve them it has been suggested to me that I use my installation disc to perform an "upgrade" installation over the top of my current installation.  I'm told that this would act almost exactly (or simply exactly) like the "repair installation" feature in Windows XP, reinstalling the OS files without formatting my drives or otherwise losing files or configuration settings, etc.

I'd like to try this, but unfortunately I don't have an installation disc.  I have an HP laptop that came with System Recovery discs, but these will not allow me to do any sort of basic install or upgrade.

So what I'm wondering is this:  If I were to borrow an actual Vista installation disc from someone and use that disc to make an "upgrade" installation as an attempt to repair my current installation without having to format my drives and start over (I'm not looking forward to reinstalling all my programs), would I need to activate windows again, and if so, would I be able to use my current product key or OEM or whatever to activate the license, or would I have to actually purchase a full new license, or at least an upgrade license in order for this to work?

If I cannot use a borrowed disc in this way, does anyone know if/how I can obtain an actual installation disc from HP?  Afterall, I did pay $200 for the operating system, I should be able to get an installation disc (in my opinion).

Thanks for any help and information you can offer Smile

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:01 AM

Answers

• Yes, that would work, with one (big) point:  if you have installed SP1 (and, you should have by now), the disc that you borrow must also have SP1 on it (in addition to being the same version:  Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, etc.)
    You'll use your Product Key.

Drake wrote:
    does anyone know if/how I can obtain an actual installation disc from HP?  Afterall, I did pay $200 for the operating system, I should be able to get an installation disc (in my opinion).
    For that, you'll have to talk to HP.  Most likely, they'll tell you 'no', though.  Reason:  under Microsoft's licensing terms for OEMs and System Builders, they're only required to give you some way to reinstall the OS, be it a recovery partition, recovery disc(s), or a 'real' Windows installation disc (in other words, they don't necessarily (and, often don't) give you any kind of physical media.)
    While you might have paid (an extra?) $200 "for the operating system" (actually, you paid for the license; and, you went for the upgrade to Ultimate, I take it?), that, unfortunately, doesn't automatically entitle you to a 'real' disc.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:09 AM

All replies

• You should be able to use any install disc as long as it is the same version (home premium,Buisness,ultimate) along with YOUR product key to repair your installation But when you say upgrade i get lost this will not work unless its the same version not an upgraded version

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Yes, that would work, with one (big) point:  if you have installed SP1 (and, you should have by now), the disc that you borrow must also have SP1 on it (in addition to being the same version:  Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, etc.)
    You'll use your Product Key.

Drake wrote:
    does anyone know if/how I can obtain an actual installation disc from HP?  Afterall, I did pay $200 for the operating system, I should be able to get an installation disc (in my opinion).
    For that, you'll have to talk to HP.  Most likely, they'll tell you 'no', though.  Reason:  under Microsoft's licensing terms for OEMs and System Builders, they're only required to give you some way to reinstall the OS, be it a recovery partition, recovery disc(s), or a 'real' Windows installation disc (in other words, they don't necessarily (and, often don't) give you any kind of physical media.)
    While you might have paid (an extra?) $200 "for the operating system" (actually, you paid for the license; and, you went for the upgrade to Ultimate, I take it?), that, unfortunately, doesn't automatically entitle you to a 'real' disc.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:09 AM